Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attacking Course Content (Strategy)

Dad-Bod MandoDad-Bod Mando Yearly Member
in General 5 karma

Currently debating taking a more targeted run at the course content or just going with what the syllabus recommends. In example, taking a prep test and determining what my strengths vs. weaknesses are then running over the course sections that I am weak at and leaving the sections that I am strong at for later/if I feel the need. I'm planning on taking this coming August or September, so, plenty of time to review and get a significant amount of content complete. I am also currently in grad school and a Dad, so, that time may be subject to more and more demands. Any ideas/strategies or recommendations that worked for you?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

If you haven't completed some other course or prep material, do the CC before PT'ing, but feel free to switch between LR/RC/LG as often as you need to to change it up. PT's are better utilized after the CC.

• Andrew A.R.Andrew A.R. Member
    92 karma

PT's are sacred. Why? Because there is a limited supply (89 to be exact). The older ones (1-36) tend to be inadequate representations of the modern test. So, you're looking at about 53 practice tests that are adequate representations of the modern test.
    You have 8-9 months before you'll be writing your LSAT. That's 39 weeks.
    Before you sit for the LSAT, you should write all available practice tests. Meaning, you would theoretically have 39 or less weeks to write 53 practice tests.
    The course materials give you an overview of the LSAT, while using the older practice tests (1-36).
    Generally speaking, dedicated students find it takes them a month to finish the course material. This would leave you with approximately 35 weeks to complete 53 practice tests.
    Completing practice tests isn't the only thing you'll be doing.
    You need to 'Blind Review' your logical reasoning sections. Since logical reasoning sections take 35 minutes, and since Blind Review requires going over all questions (or the ones you feel uncomfortable on) after your timed session, this would add potentially another 35 minutes to your study session that period.
    Logic games require doing the games until all inferences are memorized for that game, thus giving you the ability to recognize similar games in the future and attack them with the memorized inferences you learned. This process can be daunting, because it involves retaking the same set of problems over again until you memorize them. This could potentially add several hours to your review.
    Assuming you implement these methods, a study session involving writing the LSAT and reviewing its contents would take about 4-6+ hours for regular LSATS and 2-5+ hours for LSAT Flex (the digital equivalent of the LSAT where only 1 logic games, 1 logical reasoning as opposed to 2, and 1 reading comprehension sections are given).
    This would mean each test take + review session would require the requisite time allocated as to get the most out of the review by implementing these strategies.
    Assuming you can allocate time for 2 LSATS a week (preferably on separate day study sessions to ensure mental clarity), it will take you only 26-27 weeks to write all relevant practice tests.
    Since you have 39 weeks at your disposal, you can comfortably do the course and extrapolate key concepts that will fundamentally ensure your growth and improvement on the LSAT prior to honening those skills in timed practice test sessions, and still have more than enough weeks at your disposal to write 2 LSATs a week.

Think wisely about your strategy. Do what you think is realistic and what you can guarantee to accomplish, rather than setting some lofty unreasonable expectation.

Regardless, I hope some of this information will help you make that decision.

Best of luck.