Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CO vs KS

coloradoLSATtakercoloradoLSATtaker Core Member
edited January 2021 in Law School Admissions 16 karma

When law schools evaluate geographic diversity, do we know if it's based on your undergrad institution or where you are a permanent resident now? (3 yrs out of undergrad)

Trying to determine if being a permanent resident of KS vs CO is helpful to my app. (went to school in KS)

Comments

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

I can't say for sure but I know state schools usually use where you went to high school to determine residency. I think that's true even in law school

• edited January 2021 1952 karma

@coloradoLSATtaker said:

Trying to determine if being a permanent resident of KS vs CO is helpful to my app. (went to school in KS)

i'm not quite sure why you're contemplating on which state to put as your permanent residency.
    it is my understanding that we can't really "choose" our permanent residency on our law school applications; it is set by how we meet the criteria for establishing state residency.

for example, you need to have lived continuously in colorado for 12 months to establish residency in the state of colorado.
    https://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-residency.html

or are you saying that you can meet the criteria for both colorado and kansas, and you're about to choose one before applying to law schools?
    what am i missing here?

• edited January 2021 1952 karma

sorry i was just curious and i didn't really answer your question haha..

my bet is that when law schools evaluate geographic diversity, they also look at your permanent residency because:

1. when you set up your lsac account, you also put in your permanent residency info.
      this info is included in your "academic summary report," which law schools will receive and see.

2. we know for sure that lsac gathers applicant data based on the candidate’s state of permanent residence. so i'd imagine that law schools would also do it based on our permanent residency. https://www.lsac.org/data-research/data/current-volume-summaries-region-raceethnicity-gender-identity-lsat-score/current-volume-description

for evaluating "undergrad diversity," law schools have a reason to look at applicants' academic institutions (and they actually do keep in track of these).

i'm not sure what exactly would constitute as "geographic diversity" for each schools, but ultimately, i'd expect that schools will look at both your permanent residency and your academic institution.