Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ADHD and LSAT

javanrojjavanroj Core Member
in General 38 karma

Hi everyone
It's been 7 months since I started studying for LSAT, my first PT i got 127 and the best one so far I got 150. I've been diagnosed with ADHD, and studying for this test with ADHD makes it 100X harder than it normally is. I get distracted so many times while reading the question, especially RC. It's been around 1.5 month that I have not improved at all, and I have lost my confidence. Has anyone struggling with similar problem (ADHD) has any advice for me?

Comments

• ImperiusImperius Core Member
    18 karma

My psychiatrist constantly tells me that ADHD cannot be cured by medications alone. If you are already taking medications, you should focus on improving your habits. Mindfulness meditation has been shown to increase focus and concentration for every one. I used to practice it daily when I had other issues. You need to eliminate distractions in your room for one. However, if after 7 months of studying and you are still getting 150, you might want to reconsider your career choice.

• Brandon_bathBrandon_bath Member
    17 karma

You can take the LSAT with accommodations and they'll give you extra time to complete it since you have ADHD. My advice would be to not time yourself while studying just yet. Try to force yourself to focus on the question stem by reading the question out loud and once you see improvements in your distractions then start timing yourself with extra time.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello @javanroj
    As a person who has been diagnosed with ADHD as well, what worked good for me was setting up my study schedule to fit my needs. I would break the blocks of study time up and I would go for a walk/run/workout in-between my first and second block of studying. Another thing that helped me was, switching topics if I found myself no focused. Plus eliminate all distractions, I found it best to go to the public library so I do not have all the temptations that at home has. I also would make sure my diet was very similar for me that works really good for keeping me on task, along with meditation, and taking time to focus myself. For the RC doing the low resolution summaries helped me immensely. You can do it! it sucks at times but focus on the end goal!

• Arete_SouthbayArete_Southbay Core Member
    326 karma

Go back and review your fundamentals, it might be possible that you might have rushed through the core curriculum. Make sure why the right answer is correct and why the wrong answer is incorrect. Make sure you master each part of the exam before moving onto the next part. Break the test into small parts and review each part in detail. Never give up you can you do it!

• tatas911tatas911 Member
    76 karma

@Imperius said:
    However, if after 7 months of studying and you are still getting 150, you might want to reconsider your career choice.

Horrible advice. Everyone struggles with this test. Going from 127 to 150 is amazing improvement. Don't compare your timeline to that of others; I know people who studied for longer an a year and a half to achieve their goals. Be realistic and patient with yourself (mindfulness meditation is actually really good for this and I bet there are meditation exercises out there specifically for people who have ADHD). Continue to experiment and find what works for you. Absolutely seek accommodations.

18 karma

It is not horrible advice. With ADHD you have an uphill battle with being a good lawyer. The carelessness of an average individual with ADHD will make them horrible lawyers as they will be very careless with reading complicated sentences. I struggled with this first hand but I overcame it and it certainly isn't easy at all. Slowing down improved my accuracy dramatically. I am saying if your initial diagnostic is 127 and after months of presumably intense studying and getting 150, law might not be the best career choice for this person. Do you honestly want to struggle with working as a lawyer and constantly making careless mistakes from poor reading? It is a huge risk for him/her because he/she might read incorrectly in a real case and cause real damage.

• AyishaaaAyishaaa Live Member
    22 karma

@Imperius
    u overcame ADHD, lol? That's sounds like whole lotta b.s

• C.DonnanC.Donnan Core Member
    14 karma

Hi!
    I also have ADHD and a few other exacerbating conditions, making it really hard to take exams like the LSAT. The good news is that you can definitely develop techniques that help mitigate the symptoms. More than anything, you have to find techniques that work for you, because not all of the recommended techniques will have a positive effect. I personally use an app called focus to hold myself to 25-minute study sessions at a time. I use friends and study buddies to hold myself accountable when I say I'm going to complete a task. I also develop small study tools to use at least once a day, even if it's just 10 minutes of studying (for example, flashcards with question stems). Depending on the situation, I will also create rewards systems for myself to help battle the executive disfunction side of my ADHD.
    I highly suggest you seek out experts in the ADHD field. Dr. Ned Hallowell has a lot of positive information that I personally found very useful.
    Though I think Imperius is wrong, you do not need to reconsider your career choice; I would be aware of the workload and difficulty of law school. The study tools you develop now will be necessary for success, given that most classes in law school will base your grade on one, maybe two exams.

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

It is not horrible advice.

People work at different timelines, and that's perfectly fine. They can set themselves up to eventually be prepared for law school even if they aren't there yet right now.

It seems like this person is very diligent and persistent, showing a huge increase in score. Also, a lot of people start off with low diagnostic scores not necessarily because of innate ability or capability, but because of education and background. Some of us weren't going to strong schools that really honed in on the skills important to the LSAT and ADHD on top of it could be doubly challenging. Doesn't mean you can't improve from a low score to a high score, albeit with time. I don't exactly know much about their circumstance, but I do think if they want it bad enough, whose to say what they can and cannot do? Keep pushing yourself to reach your ceiling. Also you know yourself best and you will know when you want to call it quits.

With time, dedication, and a lot of hard work the 160s is not unattainable and neither is the 170s.

It is a huge risk for him/her because he/she might read incorrectly in a real case and cause real damage.

Also anyone at any level can read incorrectly. No one accurate100% of the time.

• Cas ScamanCas Scaman Core Member
    34 karma

@kkole444 said:
    Hello @javanroj
    As a person who has been diagnosed with ADHD as well, what worked good for me was setting up my study schedule to fit my needs. I would break the blocks of study time up and I would go for a walk/run/workout in-between my first and second block of studying. Another thing that helped me was, switching topics if I found myself no focused. Plus eliminate all distractions, I found it best to go to the public library so I do not have all the temptations that at home has. I also would make sure my diet was very similar for me that works really good for keeping me on task, along with meditation, and taking time to focus myself. For the RC doing the low resolution summaries helped me immensely. You can do it! it sucks at times but focus on the end goal!

Yes! I do this too. I also have ADHD and I've found that if I split my study sessions up into 1/2 hour blocks, its much easier for me. Sometimes I take longer breaks in between and sometimes I just get up and walk around the house/get water and get back to it. But frequent breaks has helped me clear my mind so much. Another thing that helps me is if I just allow myself to take a short break anytime my brain gets fuzzy or I can no longer concentrate. Also, I find taking hand written notes helps me a lot too. Good luck to you!

• yoderyoder Core Member
    60 karma

My best advice would be to ask for 100% accommodations. My friend has ADHD and got 50% so now she has plenty of time. I also have ADHD, but have no doctor so I FEEEL your struggle. Try not to stress, just study and listen to all of the explanations. I started meditating to help my mind not be so fuzzy and distracted.

When I get distracted, I just close my eyes and breathe for 10 seconds and remember why I'm taking this test and that nothing else matters other than comprehending what I am reading and using the skills I've built to answer the questions. Your improvement is amazing!! Don't let anything hold you back, just keep working hard.

• SweetyC137SweetyC137 Member
    edited January 2021 80 karma

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD. I have been studying since last June for this exam and it's been difficult for me to get my score above a 150 without accommodations, when I use accommodations I am usually scoring in the 160's. This has been a new experience for myself as well and I definitely believe that you can do it also! I also have the same problem as you, especially with RC. I panic during timed PTs because I don't even remember what I had read a lot of the time and have to go back constantly and get anxious as time ticks away. It may take us longer than others or longer than we anticipated, but it is absolutely doable.

I would also suggest applying for accommodations (I will be doing that before the April LSAT myself). Since receiving my diagnosis I have taken it upon myself to start meditating and exercising, which has helped me a lot with clearing my mind of the "fog" and anxiety. I recommend the app Calm, it is a really great way to start meditating without having to figure it out all on your own.

Also, if you haven't tried reading the book Loophole, it is a great source for learning the fundamentals of LR and has helped me develop a great strategy of tackling that section more quickly.

Good luck to you, and if you ever want to private message me to chat more about strategies please feel free to do so! :)

• javanrojjavanroj Core Member
    38 karma

@kkole444 said:
    Hello @javanroj

Thank you for the advice.

38 karma

@yoder said:
    My best advice would be to ask for 100% accommodations. My friend has ADHD and got 50% so now she has plenty of time. I also have ADHD, but have no doctor so I FEEEL your struggle. Try not to stress, just study and listen to all of the explanations. I started meditating to help my mind not be so fuzzy and distracted.

When I get distracted, I just close my eyes and breathe for 10 seconds and remember why I'm taking this test and that nothing else matters other than comprehending what I am reading and using the skills I've built to answer the questions. Your improvement is amazing!! Don't let anything hold you back, just keep working hard.

I have applied for 50% accommodation, they don't let 100% for ADHD. But thanks for the positive energy. Good luck to you too.

38 karma

@"C.Donnan" said:
    Hi!
    I also have ADHD and a few other exacerbating conditions, making it really hard to take exams like the LSAT. The good news is that you can definitely develop techniques that help mitigate the symptoms. More than anything, you have to find techniques that work for you, because not all of the recommended techniques will have a positive effect. I personally use an app called focus to hold myself to 25-minute study sessions at a time. I use friends and study buddies to hold myself accountable when I say I'm going to complete a task. I also develop small study tools to use at least once a day, even if it's just 10 minutes of studying (for example, flashcards with question stems). Depending on the situation, I will also create rewards systems for myself to help battle the executive disfunction side of my ADHD.
    I highly suggest you seek out experts in the ADHD field. Dr. Ned Hallowell has a lot of positive information that I personally found very useful.
    Though I think Imperius is wrong, you do not need to reconsider your career choice; I would be aware of the workload and difficulty of law school. The study tools you develop now will be necessary for success, given that most classes in law school will base your grade on one, maybe two exams.

Thanks for mentioning Dr. Hallowell, I will look into him.

• JDRose99JDRose99 Core Member
    28 karma

Keep going. Keep growing. Keep at it. Take advantage of accommodations. And don’t let anyone stop you from pursuing your dream of becoming a lawyer.

• arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member
    112 karma

If you went from 127 to a 150 with ADHD in 7 months then you are determined af! Keep at it, try to get accommodations if you can or give yourself more time to study and push your test date back if you are not in a rush to start law school. This exam is a difficult test that puts SOOO many people at a disadvantage, please dont compare yourselves to others. (Also, dont listen to some people here who are telling you law isnt the field for you) I have a masters and worked with tons of lawyers and you need people in this field who are determined and understanding like you are. Your struggles will make you an exceptional lawyer because you will understand other people's struggles and that is really important to being a good lawyer.

18 karma

@siddiqaayishaayisha said:
    @Imperius
    u overcame ADHD, lol? That's sounds like whole lotta b.s

Yes not only did I overcame ADHD, I also overcame schizohprenia. I was only being honest with my assessment of this individual. A 150 is not a very good score at all, it is 44 percentile. But whatever, it's your choice.

• 162 karma

I have ADHD and have been on medication since high school, everyone's situation is different but personally I couldn't study without it. One thing I noticed when I first started to study was that I'd sit there "studying" but in reality I was jumping from one topic to another and studying without any purpose. Block out a time you're going to study and write down a schedule of what time you're going to study certain material so you avoid sitting there staring at nothing. Organization makes a difference. I also put study notes on my walls/in places I frequently look so I have a quick read before bed or while getting ready. Do NOT give up, you've got this. Believe in yourself, it may take you (like myself) longer to accomplish the score you want but who cares!! Keep swimming!

• 140 karma

Congrats on your ability to score a 150! If I were you I would not give up. I do not have ADHD but I have family members with ADHD so I can empathize with you. I to some extent have a hard time concentrating on studies. I started off at a 126 and after a year and a half I'm finally at 150. To be honest, I really sat down and focused hard the last 5ish months and that's when I saw my score increase by a lot. What helps me is setting a goal. For example, RC, while practicing untimed, I will read the passage, write down my summary etc, then take a quick break before questions. Once I'm ready to start questions, I'll do my best to answer them all, then take another break. If I do it all the way through, I can't entirely focus. I think it's important to build up to a point where you can finish the reading and questions in one sitting. Baby steps! I apply this to the other sections. I'll do one LG, BR, and then review. I'll take a break, and complete the number of LG I planned for that day. Similar to LR, I'll plan to do 5ish, take a break, and repeat. You've gotten so far that it wouldn't be a good idea to give up on your hard work. I know sometimes it's common to be stuck at a score and then suddenly jump, kind of like what has happened to you and me. ADHD aside, you might want to consider a tutor! The LSAT Facebook groups offer a lot of people at low prices. I myself have signed up for a tutor and it's good so far. I'm not incredibly smart, sometimes I just have to work harder than others but I know I am capable, as are you. Stay positive. This test is not easy and the fact that you're going for it and have had a score increase is a big accomplishment.

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma

I feel your pain. I have been a chronic under-performer my whole life due to undiagnosed ADHD and I underperformed on my first LSAT. That said, I'm prepared to retake it in February and am now feeling pretty confident, having improved my average score by 20 points by making some really simple adjustments to my studying and approach. (The fact that I was able to improve my score by 20 points by making a few minor adjustments is a true testament to the nature of ADHD)

Here's what helped me the most:

1. I took a break. Not just a day or a few weeks, but two full months. I took a break that was lengthy enough for me to reset and look at the whole process with a fresh set of eyes and basically reset.

2. I made a schedule for myself and started holding myself to it- and most importantly, I STOPPED studying after I put in the allotted time. (I didn't force myself to keep studying for extra hours like I had previously- if I scheduled an hour, I stopped after an hour)

3. Lastly, I swallowed my pride and asked for accommodations, which were approved. I study according to the time I've been granted (1.5x). Like I said above, the fact that a few extra minutes makes that dramatic of a difference is a true testament to the struggle with ADHD- namely, I can't refocus into new tasks quick enough to move between sections without an adjustment period.

4. While this one might sound like advice from a bad after school special, the fact of the matter is that I accepted that I am who I am, my limitations are unique, I've struggled with underperforming my whole life, and I am deserving of a chance to perform at an equal level to others. It took me a long, long time to realize that accommodations are not giving me an unfair advantage. Once it occurred to me that this is what "normal" testing feels like to the typical test taker, I made my peace with it and moved on.

I would highly consider taking a break and reseting above everything else. It sounds like you really need and deserve it.

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma

Oh and one more thing- don't give yourself too much time on PT/drills either. As I'm sure you know, with ADHD, there's a "sweet spot" with timing. If you give yourself too much time on sections, you may find yourself fighting hyperfocus (which is a HUGE issue for me).

• shaylfx523shaylfx523 Core Member
    22 karma

Apply for accommodations (if you haven't already). Ask for as much as you think you will need in order to perform to the best of your abilities! For reading comprehension, I have to be very disciplined with TIME. I give myself a set amount of minutes and a goal of questions to answer CORRECTLY. Even with the extra time, I am not at the level yet to make it through every question with 100% accuracy. Something that may be helpful to try would be to play around with time strategies and also which questions to tackle first and/or which ones to avoid or skip completely. For example, if I am running low on time, I'll do specific line text questions, according to the passage questions and function questions first, then go to the others. Also a reminder to SLOW DOWN. I have to actively remind myself to take my time and read slowly. As I know you know, our brains are ALWAYS 5 steps ahead of us, naturally. ADHD requires getting in to habits that give us structure. Finding the structure that works for you and then staying disciplined is KEY. The less room your mind can wander, the better.

(Admittedly) Those of us with ADHD recognize the potential roadblocks that may come with the work associated with being an attorney. For me personally, I know the detail oriented work associated with being an attorney will be a challenge. I know I will miss a period somewhere, use the wrong font a few times, miss a hearing once because I thought it was 8am instead of 7am, the list does go on haha. But these kinds of issues have been a problem for me my whole life! With that being said, the positives of how our brains work make outweigh any of those potential issues (in my opinion). We think quick on our feet, we're able to adapt to many uncertain situations, most of us are creative and that allows us to come up with multiple solutions to potential problems that may come up, we are intense and when there is something that gets in our minds, we do not let it go and do not give up. These qualities (along with other positives) will make you a fantastic attorney and a true advocate for your future clients.

This test does NOT predict how successful you will be in law school and/or your success as a practicing attorney. There is no such thing as a "bad" score. Scoring, similar to difficulty of this exam, is subjective. It means something different to each person who embarks on this journey. Everyone brings in to this process their own perceptions (and often misconceptions) about this process and about what the score really means about potential for success. YES, the test is more difficult for us ADHD folks. YES, it may take longer to get to where you want. But it is NOT impossible.

You got this!! All of us ADHD 7Sagers sympathize with you and we are rooting for you!! Don't give up!! Good luck!!

• jaloppyujaloppyu Member
    2 karma

Hey friend, also struggled with the ADHD thing although it seems my bout with it was a little less severe than what you are talking about. My struggles were definitely amplified by both RC and LG, LR was always easier and I always did best on it. Frankly, I thought I could navigate it without accommodations and probably could have but not to the level of success I expected of myself. I never really had to deal with the ADHD until I had gotten to undergrad, and by then my habits were pretty well formed and it was a battle between me, my brain, and my impulses constantly; as a matter of fact, to this day it still is. I suggest all of the things a few people here suggested, I was more in the can't get over the 150 score because I just don't have the ability to read quickly and retain information due to the ADHD, and reading and rereading games and RC passages is necessary for me to understand it. Part of the LSAT is for pressure, which is amplified ten fold by anyone with an educational disorder like we have. I would suggest swallowing your pride, talking to a therapist and licensed Clinical Psychiatrist/Psychologist specializing in learning disorders to see if going the accommodations route would help. If you are unsure if it would, diagnostic yourself with both 50% added and 100% added time to see if your score changes. Obviously a score jump is expected, but if its 15 or so points more that tells you that it isn't the material you are struggling with but the time, and given your disorder amplifies the time factor it may be in your interest to get tested and get those letters into LSAC.

Ultimately this is your decision, but as another user pointed out, you shouldn't let this deter you from the profession. While there are red flags that should deter you, struggling on the test to get in, which is designed to do exactly what it is doing to you now, isn't the main deterrence. I would suggest reading legal journal articles on the regular while studying, it will help you with reading comp skills, and get you more adept at the type of stuff you'lll be doing, thinking, and producing in the career. If you start doing better and gaining confidence on the test and find interest in the journal article material, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If for whatever reason you cannot get that score up, even with additional time, and you are finding the journals hard to follow and even harder to understand the point of... you may want to spend a little time doing some introspection.

Either way, don't let bad scores keep you from pursuing your career aspirations, you certainly can go to law school with a 150 LSAT and be a successful Lawyer. You can be a successful lawyer with ADHD or Dyslexia (that's me)... you can be a worthless lawyer, and you guessed it, still be what people would call successful. If you ever need a pick me up, do yourself a favor and go watch Nancy Grace or any of the shows that welcome lawyers all the time, go watch Guiliani address the public in front of a lawn mower store thinking he was at the four seasons. It is a lot more than a single score that will go on to indicate your level of success, most of that will have to do with your ability to recognize your own errors, reconciling them, setting out to correct them, and ultimately holding yourself to a standard higher than what is expected of you. If you work hard, are open to criticism, can be self critical, and leave out your ego the sky is the limit. Good luck.

• ecaynewilsonecaynewilson Member
    6 karma

@Imperius said:
    It is not horrible advice. With ADHD you have an uphill battle with being a good lawyer. The carelessness of an average individual with ADHD will make them horrible lawyers as they will be very careless with reading complicated sentences. I struggled with this first hand but I overcame it and it certainly isn't easy at all. Slowing down improved my accuracy dramatically. I am saying if your initial diagnostic is 127 and after months of presumably intense studying and getting 150, law might not be the best career choice for this person. Do you honestly want to struggle with working as a lawyer and constantly making careless mistakes from poor reading? It is a huge risk for him/her because he/she might read incorrectly in a real case and cause real damage.

This isn't necessarily true. As someone who was diagnosed with ADD well before taking the LSAT, my performance on the LSAT came down to how I approached studying. While medication can possibly help, it will not cure every aspect of your diagnosis. Some of the most creative people in history were neurodivergent. This may be the constant drilling of LR questions talking, but arguing that ADHD could make an individual a horrible lawyer solely on the basis of having a diagnosis is illogical. For me, RC is the most difficult section of the test because I lose focus mid-sentence and have to reread it until I genuinely comprehend the author's words. This may take four or five attempts until I get it, which can really conflict with time. Seeking out an ADHD diagnosis from a qualified medical professional is a great start to obtaining accommodations for the test. Some may argue that this is an unfair advantage given the fact that the individual is allotted extra time, but more often than not, these criticisms derive from individuals who do not face the challenges associated with ADHD on a daily basis.

Never let someone undermine your authority as a prospective law student just because you approach academic work in an atypical manner. There are numerous other resources at your disposal, such as advice from users on Reddit that are conflicted with the same circumstances you are. You will always have ADHD once diagnosed, but true carelessness as a prospective law student is allowing this to discourage you entirely from law school.

These accommodations exist for a reason. Use them.

• LSATulcerLSATulcer Member
    111 karma

@Imperius said:
    My psychiatrist constantly tells me that ADHD cannot be cured by medications alone. If you are already taking medications, you should focus on improving your habits. Mindfulness meditation has been shown to increase focus and concentration for every one. I used to practice it daily when I had other issues. You need to eliminate distractions in your room for one. However, if after 7 months of studying and you are still getting 150, you might want to reconsider your career choice.

What kind of Dbag comment is this? As a former special education teacher, I can say that if this person had a 23 pt jump in 7 months WITHOUT accommodations then this is a significant improvement. Who are you to tell someone that they can't do better or that they should reconsider their career choice? You have no clue about what this person is capable of.

@javanroj Don't listen to anybody and do your thing. You have improved significantly. Please get testing accommodations and start PTing with accoms if you haven't done so already. One trick I used to give my students is to have my students stand while they were reading or working. This helped with my kids (high school and middle school) that could not sit in a desk for long periods of time. Also, take mini-breaks between learning new material or reviewing. I would say break after 30 min of work/study. Break your content into chunks so it is not as overwhelming. Also, you need to use the analytics on here and go back over content if you haven't done so already and spend about a week with just one concept. Everyone plateaus, so try not to feel discouraged. I had a plateau in the lower 150s in October, took a week off, and came back rested to make 160, I plateaued again and broke 165. If you have ADHD I'm going to assume you talk a lot, so try to talk about the concept you are learning with others because teaching/verbalizing to someone else is the highest method of mastery. Good luck and you should be proud of yourself!!!!

• sarahsarahsarahsarah Member
    32 karma

I want to second (or third, or fourth) all the recommendations related to requesting extended time accommodations. You can also request breaks between each section if you need to give your mind a few minutes to recenter. Personally, I've found that my ADHD makes it difficult to move on from a problem (I realize this hits everyone to some extent, but for me it's very severe - just hyperfixating on a LG problem and completely forgetting about the rest of the exam entirely.) I also find that I tend to stop and stare at the words on the page or the work I've already done instead of moving quickly through things like I need to. The extended time gives me just enough leeway to compensate for this, and it's all very test-specific, not a reflection of my overall potential; I'm sure your ADHD-related standardized testing problems aren't a reflection of your potential either! I had never had accommodations for anything before in my life but I've also never had such an unforgiving exam in terms of not even having a second to be distracted. I think you should try to take a practice test with the 53 minutes per section accommodation setting and see if your performance changes when you have a little breathing room.
    Unfortunately I don't have any study-specific tips for you but it seems like there are other people who've shared great ones!