Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice :(

melisssammelisssam Core Member
in General 71 karma

Ive been studying for the lsat since August my score has not improved one bit. I started 7sage in november and felt as though things were finally clicking.. i think i do well when i am practicing but when i write under timed conditions i do awful. I dont think its about working on just my timing either cause im not even understanding what im doing when its all jumbled into the test. Should i give up? I cant even hit 150 after all this time studying... i feel so defeated.

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hang in there it takes time and it is a process that cannot be forced or rushed. If you want to PM you're welcome too. But I would need to know a little more information in order to render my advice. However trust the 7sage process it has helped me beyond belief and it has helped so many like myself, it is a slow process but it is very rewarding. i personally would focus on LG right now because it is relatively the easiest to improve in. I made a post today about how I got to -0 in logic games and I also have a link to a spread sheet I made to keep track of all the games and questions that you struggle with.
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/27505/link-to-google-slides-that-many-have-been-asking-for-i-explain-my-process-to-0-lg
    scores do not increase in a linear fashion, it is more like medium size peaks and valleys in score. What is your BR score? have you completed the core curriculum?

• pappasm91pappasm91 Member
    230 karma

Do not feel discouraged at all! I was in a similar position - first untimed, diagnostic I took in July 2020 and got a 140. Between using 7Sage and The LSAT Trainer, I studied through the summer and all fall and decided to take a timed test this past December and scored a 136... WOOF. After allowing myself a small pity party and mental breakdown, I did some research and found a tutor online and have been working with him since mid-December. I took another untimed test 2 weeks ago and scored a 152 and now I'm sitting for the April test. My point being people learn differently and there are different approaches to understanding this stuff. This is in no way a plug for my tutor (even though he's amazing) but I went from -13 in LG to averaging -6 with the goal to be no more than -2. Heck, I even find LG fun now. I have ADHD and my brain processes information differently than most, so while JY's sarcasm is fun to listen to and there have been points made that have helped, but my tutor and The Loophole have really started making things click. Be patient with yourself, don't give up - we got this!

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    500 karma

Hi,
    I completely understand the frustration and the stress that you feel, but if law school is 100 per cent what you want to do, don’t give up! You can improve!

Do you think it’s burn out? It might be helpful to take a break from the LSAT and just do something else for a bit. At least put away new PTs or sections and review some fundamentals, reread a prep book, watch some of JYs instructional videos, etc.

Similar to you, timed PTs really had me just blank out. Under untimed conditions, I could do well. under timed conditions, not so much. I felt like I needed to learn how much time I actually had per question and what I could accomplish in that amount of time. So I started redoing timed sections I’d already taken and reviewed. Having seen these questions before, I was quite confident in my answers and my reasoning, so it wasn’t about getting things correct (though I still used that data) it was about what I could get out of 60-90 seconds. How much time could I spend on the stimulus, what type of thinking could I accomplish in that time, and how quickly did I need to work to get through 25 questions with very high accuracy. When I still got questions wrong, I knew that these were ones that I needed to dig into to find out what happened.

I haven’t fully tested this method out, so I can’t guarantee results or anything, but I don’t feel immediately compelled to rush through my sections, I’m taking more time to dig in and understand what is happening, and I’m able to track my reasoning process as I move through the test better. I’m also slowly understanding my levels of confidence on this test. If you do try it out, or want to chat, let me know!

Good luck!

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

this is a good thread :)

• billymadisonbillymadison Alum Member
    40 karma

I started studying 2 years ago with Princeton review and khan. Then I switched to 7sage. In all that time I stayed in the same score range. 150-155. My first PT was 150. I was defeated. I think I watched the core videos 4-5 times.

All that to say. I didn’t see a lot of score improvement. I was in the habit of taking test timed. BR. And watching explanation video that made the question seem super easy. Gave me lots of confidence. I’ll get it right next time. Only to not get it right next time. And not improve.

So I quit learning. I stopped watching the explanations and went to task doing the lsat exam. In sections one by one Un-timed.

I think I spend 45minutes-2hrs finishing a section.

So from 2/3 mnths ago when I started doing only practice tests to now, I’ve reached 161 Jan flex exam.

In conclusion, If like me, you don’t feel you’re improving, try something new. Find a way that works for you because this 7sage method isn’t for everyone. Timed test and BR wasn’t for me.

And to tack on to another comment. I’ve read loophole. It was good.

• melisssammelisssam Core Member
    71 karma

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it! I feel like I was pushing myself to take timed tests when I wasn't in the right headspace at those times. I took one the other day and scored 156 (159 BR). This is my best score to date and I feel like it has reassured me to just go with my gut and don't overthink when answering under timed conditions!!

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

Not sure what your methods are and what your other commitments are (working part-time/full-time) but when you self study it does take longer because you've got to figure it out on your own. Really the best way to improve is to mess up a buuunch of times (and then a bunch more after that) and then learn from your mistakes! It could take a bit but trust it does get easier. I've been self studying on and off for well over a year, I thought I was never going to improve but I did.

Also, if you can, try to put together a study group with other people who have similar goals, commitments, and values as you. Being able to talk it out even with just another study partner is super helpful.

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

@pappasm91 that comment means a lot. "LG is fun."
    I hope to be there soon!! Thanks my guy!!