Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying With Full Time Job

gerstle19gerstle19 Core Member
in General 100 karma

Contemplating taking on studying as a full time gig, or at minimum reducing my hours at work, but I want to see how many users out there feel they are able to fulfill study goals while working FT!

LSAT Preparation
  1. Are you preparing for the LSAT while working a full time job?89 votes
    1. Yes
      80.90%
    2. No
        8.99%
    3. I work part time
      10.11%

Comments

• annaemurphy279annaemurphy279 Core Member
    99 karma

The only reason I'm able to get in good hours studying while working is because there is a lot of downtime at my job so I do not have to rely on after-work hours/weekends to do all my studying.

• I work full-time and it's rough. It depends on the job. My job requires a lot. I typically take work home with me and it's not ideal. I'm giving myself more time to study for the LSAT than someone with zero obligations. For example, let's say 6 months of studying is enough time to achieve 165+, I would give myself 1-1.5 year(s). In short, it's possible. Give yourself a longer timeline to achieve your goals.

• tatas911tatas911 Member
    76 karma

definitely possible but you will need to give yourself a lot of time to make progress, esp if your job if demanding, and esp if you have a high goal score. i work full time and realistically am only able to study about 2 hours a day, sometimes less, which has extended my LSAT timeline by a lot. you also need time for days when work has just burnt you out & you need the day off (if you have this kind of job), and time for when you're burnt out from studying and need a couple of days. I moved back home (b/c of the test & the panny) where I have no friends/social life, so not feeling tempted by any social stuff has actually been super helpful for saving time/energy.

I think leaving work to study full time is a personal decision. In addition to having the free time, you have the mental space to focus solely on the test, whereas balancing work requires balancing stress/demands from your job. I couldn't stomach pulling back from work completely, but if I had the option to reduce my hours I would absolutely have taken that route.

• samuelhirschsamuelhirsch Yearly Member
    30 karma

I work full time. Lucky enough I get my work done quick. That means I can study during daytime hours. It makes it way easier imo. I would only suggest this if you have free time on your hands though.

I cant imagine studying on top of actually working 40 hours + a week

• laineyycakeslaineyycakes Member
    32 karma

I work service industry and so I have to be really on top of myself to keep up with my study schedule. I aim for getting in around two hours after work everyday and five hours minimum on days I'm off. I think it's working, I've seen a definite improvement in my score, it is just so difficult when I'm tired.

• Ben LongBen Long Member
    29 karma

I'm working 40+ hours weekly and studying, usually between 1-2 hours a day. I'll need to increase that daily study time, but honestly, I have found it fairly manageable with a well planned schedule. I decided that I was going to put a priority on the LSAT, so I deleted all the social media accounts off of my phone, and blocked them on my PC. You'd be surprised how much extra time you have once those things are gone.

• gerstle19gerstle19 Core Member
    100 karma

@samuelhirsch @laineymariehoffman @tatas911 @lawschoolusahopeful @annaemurphy279 Thanks all! Definitely feel more so inspired and relieved that many of us are in the same boat.

I work 40 hrs/week in the service industry so it can be difficult to stay on top of studying, but I plan on prolonging my study schedule until mid-summer (already been on and off for about a year).