Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Include Corona Virus as reason for unemployment on Resume?

Hey everyone! I'm finishing up my resume right now and just wondering if I should mention the pandemic as the reason for my unemployment? Post-graduation I tried to find full time work during a gap year to study for the LSAT, but the pandemic cut that search short and I instead remained unemployed while studying for the test instead. Opinions?

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

The feedback I got from AdComms regarding COVID-related gaps on a resume was to include a brief line to explain the gap. Basically, keep it simple. Hope that helps (I had the same question).

• Brigitte-1Brigitte-1 Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    30 karma

You could do a short Gap in Employment addendum in which you state the reason for the gap. I personally believe adcomms will be more understanding than usual about gaps in employment because Covid has made things very difficult. It's understandable that people are losing jobs, having internships rescinded, and not being able to find jobs as readily as in normal times.

• 117 karma

Bartender and applicant for next year's cycle here. I've been out of work for the duration of the pandemic, so this has been causing me great stress as well. But, as the above poster said, I'd like to think adcomms are aware of the unprecedented situation. Fingers crossed, because the job market is going to stay garbage for some time, especially in my case.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, you can explain a gap in your resume by including an Employment Gap Addendum in your application. It provides context and helps the admissions committee interpret what they are seeing in your resume and application.

• mlefevremlefevre Member
    31 karma

@"selene.steelman" said:
    Speaking as a former admissions officer, you can explain a gap in your resume by including an Employment Gap Addendum in your application. It provides context and helps the admissions committee interpret what they are seeing in your resume and application.

Out of curiosity, about how long do you think an employment gap addendum needs to be? Especially because of the pandemic I'm sure most schools will be seeing a lot of these addendum so I just want to avoid writing anything too redundant.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Keep it short and factual, just like all other addenda. Try to keep it to one paragraph. Good luck!

• mlefevremlefevre Member
    31 karma

@"selene.steelman" said:
    Keep it short and factual, just like all other addenda. Try to keep it to one paragraph. Good luck!

Thank you so much, I appreciate the info more than you know!