Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Translations and Powerscore

Curious what y'all think of the following - below was my translation of a Powerscore logical reasoning quiz, and then what they had listed...

The strike will end only if management concedes a pay raise.
Only if, necessary
The strike will end: /S
Management concedes a pay raise: McPR
/S-->McPR
/McPR-->S
If management does not concede a payraise, then the strike will continue.

Powerscore says:
SE = strike will end; MCPR management concedes a pay raise

SE-->MCPR
(if the strike ends, then management conceded a pay raise)
/MCPR-->/SE
(If management does not conced a pay raise, then the strike will end.

I guess what I'm wondering is how many of you would consider SE to be strike will end vs hstrike will end being equated to /S

/S vs SE
  1. Would you consider "Strike will end" to be6 votes
    1. /S
        0.00%
    2. SE
      100.00%

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8358 karma

I think either works. Just keep track of what your variable means and be consistent. Personally SE seems more intuitive to me since /S could be the absence of a strike as opposed to a strike that existed, then ended.

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    656 karma

As long as your notation is clear to you, it doesn't matter. However, I would definitely go with the Powerscore notation. It's easy to get confused, have a slip of memory, and miss slight shifts in language in answer choices under timed conditions.

As an outsider, my interpretation of your notation would be different.

/S = no strike doesn't mean the same thing as /SE = strike will end

With Powerscore's notation, it's clear that a strike has already started. This particular point is not clear with your notation.

• 11 karma

Thank you both very much - that helps to make sense!

• yousif.mah123yousif.mah123 Member
    12 karma

Doesn't matter all that much as long as you're aware of the symbols. Make sure to be consistent because wrongfully negating is fatal. I prefer SE for the same reasons highlighted above: it's much more clear.