Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR

bunnyfriend7bunnyfriend7 Member
edited February 2021 in Law School Admissions 191 karma

I am already stressed about having professors write me LoR in the fall. My classes are small and my professors know me by my name, but I have never gone to a single office hour for any professor. Since everything is online, I would have to make a zoom appointment to meet with them in "office hour", there are no drop ins. I've always wanted to go to law school, so I'm a history major; how do I ask questions and form relationships with my professors when I don't want to go into the area of study that they are in? If I ask additional questions about the readings, additional materials, aren't they going to know I'm just BS-ing them?

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

Try thinking about which professors you like the most and establish a relationship with them. Some I liked because they were a good teacher, or were easy to get along with, or had some shared interest. Or maybe, which class are you doing the best in/working the hardest at? Find a way to connect, help them get to know you, and I wouldn't be afraid to discuss your interest in attending law school. I don't think that's BSing but it could just be me lmao. Maybe some of them have attended as well or are familiar with the process and you can get advice. They're professors, so I'm pretty confident that they're used to writing lors. The worst thing is that they say no, and that's ok.

• 1952 karma

i don't think you need to go into the area of study that your profs are in to show academic interest or to get an lor from them.
    if that were true, almost everyone who attends college in the united states won't be able to get an lor – undergrads don't teach law (we have law schools for that, supposedly) and that means people end up getting an lor from someone not teaching law.
    anyway, i think it'd be a good idea to start booking office hours to develop relationships, discuss class, game of thrones, and other good stuff.
    check this out if you haven't already: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-pick-your-recommenders/
    good luck!