Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best tips, and keywords, to identify an In/Out game?

mitchell-5mitchell-5 Member
edited March 2021 in Logic Games 100 karma

What tips do you have for identifying In/Out games? I think select is a good indicator word, are there any others anyone else has noticed and picked up on?

Comments

• 96 karma

Following for my own learning (they seem to be my weakest game type), thank you!

• kaleincalikaleincali Core Member
    54 karma

The best tip I can think of is if the game starts out with a larger number of variables than it says must be picked. For example, the other day I was doing a game from Manhattan Prep about circus performers, and there were 7 circus performers but only 4 minimum were required to perform. If you get a setup like this, you should be aware of looking for any clues in the rules that state exclusions, such as "M cannot perform if N is performing" or such.

• Batlas95Batlas95 Member
    6 karma

A tip that helped me is to see the similarities with In and Out games and traditional grouping games. In a way, I&Os are just grouping games with two groups -- the In group and Out group. Animals in a zoo, objects on a shelf, students in a course, etc.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

If you see a BUNCH of conditional logic and there's only two groups, chances are it's an in/out game.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello,
    there are a couple things that indicate that you are are working with a in/out game.
    First, when you read the stimulus we have to notice that there are only two groups. This can be just about anything: I have 7 people I can invite to an office party but only have room to invite 4 of them. This would create an "in" and an "out' group. Or say I am going to make a Spring cook book and a Fall cook book and no other seasonal cook books. This again would create two groups, but the "in" and "out" group is for you to decide. Do you want the fall to be the IN or do you want the fall to be the out group? Then on this particular style IN/OUT you would want to make sure when dealing with the rules you keep in mind whether fall is out or if fall is in because that will affect the way you draw the logic. But it does not at all matter which (fall, spring) is the IN or the OUT you will still get to the correct answer. Many just pick the first one that comes in the stimulus to be the in group but it does not matter. If you are struggling with IN/OUT then I would recommend doing the game with once with the fall in the in and then do the game again with the fall in the out. This will force you to redraw the logic and will help you see how reversible that game is. There are many ways the LSAC create groups. Some of the past ones are: from the 7 photographers we are sending some to school A and some to school B, but all photographers will be used. Or We need to know where to schedule the doctors at hospital Johnson or Hospital Mayo. Then you would have to pick between a group of doctors. Basically when thinking about the game board set up when we see a group of things(people, food, prizes) and then we have 2 categories to put the group of 'things' in they can be any thing really places, events, positions, options, cars, jobs then you know you are in a grouping game.