Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sufficient or necessary indicator? "Always permits"

Is A always permits B

A->B?
or B-> A?

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

I would interpret as : A ---> B is permitted

Don't want to assume that B happens when A happens. Just, that B can happen.

• WoodsCommaElleWoodsCommaElle Live Member
    edited March 2021 399 karma

A --> B :)
    When A happens, B also happens (because A always permits B )

• Slow is FastSlow is Fast Alum Member
    edited March 2021 445 karma

Try to find synonyms for conditional logic indicators that are confusing. To "permit" something is to allow it. A sufficient condition is something that triggers, enables, activates, or allows the necessary to be true.

"A always permits B" means "A always enables B," so A --> B.

The word "always" might be what's causing the confusion because we're taught that it's part of the Group 2 Necessary Conditions. But I think it's a word that should be taken in context, rather than using it as a definite necessary indicator.

If you think about the relationship between A and B, which one allows the other to happen?

"Always" is an adverb, which means it describes or alters verbs. In this case, "always" is intensifying the verb "permit," thus intensifying the direction of the arrow in A-->B. It sets that arrow in stone. This solidifies/intensifies the relationship between A and B; i.e., there is absolutely no possibility that A is ever not leading to B (which is the roundabout LSAT way of saying A always leads to B ).