Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FAM.

lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
edited June 2021 in General 1417 karma

yes.

Comments

• mahmedanimahmedani Alum Member
    43 karma

Keep your chin up. I saw another comment on here that described the same exact thing: the 7Sager was BRing 175+ for two straight exams and then barely BRing 165 on the next few. I think you can partially chalk this up to the fact that the LSAT is just... weird. I applaud the writers because it's extremely difficult to apply objectivity to our natural language (and I actually find it fascinating how the exam works). But, I think there are some lessons to be learned from this experience, and I say this with the utmost deference because I haven't been practicing nearly as long as yourself:

1) As JY said in the first (or maybe second? or something) lesson, the LSAT is a sprint, not a marathon. I was extremely dejected to regress to a 166 on my third PT after completing the CC when the one immediately preceding was a 169 BR. However, in my three-ish months of studying, I've come to learn that LSAT progress is seldom linear. It was a little while until I finally broke 170 but I think this brings me on to my second point.

2) If you make stupid errors (I make a ton) and/or guess, go back and figure out why it ended up being right and retrace your thought process. I recently started diagramming a lot of the questions on the LR section sort of like JY does in the CC and it helps. A lot. That's the beauty of BR: take it slow and easy.

3) Finally, it may be a faux pas, but I typically don't do the full BR in one sitting; if I do, it's always on the day after, on a weekend. I'm a full time student and I don't have the time during the academic term to spend six or seven hours (which is how long it takes me to BR including breaks) to dedicate to one single thing when I have constant due dates to balance at Zoom University. I find that, after your timed run, if you take a couple of hours at the least or a day at the most, it really, really helps. Sure, it won't be simulating the mental stress of timed conditions, but BR is about learning, not about simulating test-taking environments. Whatever conditions you learn best in are those conditions you should create for yourself, even if it's waiting a day to BR. Also, celebrate the little things... You broke a 170, even if it was from some guess work. Who cares? The reality is, you'll have to guess at least a few times throughout your LSAT journey.

Sorry, I know the advice was totally unsolicited and I didn't mean to come on here and lecture, but hang in there :smile:

• chaplin___chaplin___ Alum Member
    601 karma

This happened to me in the early PT80s, got a 179 BR one day then weeks later a 168 BR it’s frustrating and somewhat unsettling so you’re definitely not alone

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

@mahmedani damn bruh. Thanks for the talk, I really appreciate that. Good luck on your studies fam, it looks like you're on the cusp!

@chaplin___ for sure man, thanks for the comment. p.s. I read a bunch of your comments HAHA they're so helpful lool. Good luck to you too!

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

this is totally normal... and yes, it sucks! The LSAT gods giveth, and then they taketh away. Now noticing my score fluctuations when I don't get enough sleep before a PT, or I have been studying a bit too much without taking enough time away from my computer, or perhaps the stars weren't aligned just right... it is nice to know we have company, right?

• 120_or_bust120_or_bust Core Member
    124 karma

@mahmedani said:

3) Finally, it may be a faux pas, but I typically don't do the full BR in one sitting; if I do, it's always on the day after, on a weekend. I'm a full time student and I don't have the time during the academic term to spend six or seven hours (which is how long it takes me to BR including breaks) to dedicate to one single thing when I have constant due dates to balance at Zoom University. I find that, after your timed run, if you take a couple of hours at the least or a day at the most, it really, really helps. Sure, it won't be simulating the mental stress of timed conditions, but BR is about learning, not about simulating test-taking environments. Whatever conditions you learn best in are those conditions you should create for yourself, even if it's waiting a day to BR.

That's a great idea and I might start doing that too. I work FT but thankfully I have downtime, so I've been BR-ing after my PT. I might wait a day now to clear my mind.

The LSAT won't let you BR afterwards, so why not wait a day? It'll simulate waiting for your score anyway, lol.

• tonyahardzinskitonyahardzinski Core Member
    307 karma

Mine fluctuates between 157-165 these days and it drives me crazy. I am starting to trust my gut more vs constantly change the answers, but that’s partly coming from having done a bajillion PTs now. I am loving the JY video explanations for the questions I miss and even the ones I’m mostly sure about because it’s helping me get closer to always scoring above 160 with confidence. Plus, I’m reminding myself during PTs that I get MANY questions right, take a few breathes to recenter and then keep working. I am no longer trying to finish the Lg or RC and taking the time pressure off (in my head) is making me score higher more regularly so perhaps try that. But yes, I feel you- the lsat messes with our heads big time 😆

• lsat_suslsat_sus Core Member
    1417 karma

@tonyahardzinski for sure man, I gotta think along those same lines. The taking-my-time idea is so good too, I totally forgot about that! Thanks for the comment brother!

• mahmedanimahmedani Alum Member
    43 karma

@120_or_bust said:

@mahmedani said:

3) Finally, it may be a faux pas, but I typically don't do the full BR in one sitting; if I do, it's always on the day after, on a weekend. I'm a full time student and I don't have the time during the academic term to spend six or seven hours (which is how long it takes me to BR including breaks) to dedicate to one single thing when I have constant due dates to balance at Zoom University. I find that, after your timed run, if you take a couple of hours at the least or a day at the most, it really, really helps. Sure, it won't be simulating the mental stress of timed conditions, but BR is about learning, not about simulating test-taking environments. Whatever conditions you learn best in are those conditions you should create for yourself, even if it's waiting a day to BR.

That's a great idea and I might start doing that too. I work FT but thankfully I have downtime, so I've been BR-ing after my PT. I might wait a day now to clear my mind.

The LSAT won't let you BR afterwards, so why not wait a day? It'll simulate waiting for your score anyway, lol.

Super late, but exactly! The mental fatigue is real after taking a full LSAT, at least for me. I wanna be clear-minded when I BR. I guess it all comes down to what works for you.

• ashabrams10ashabrams10 Core Member
    5 karma

You should celebrate as PT 62 is one of the hardest PTs I've encountered imo. Way lower than my other ones