Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR is keeping me from the 170s

MisStudyingMisStudying Free Trial Member

This is the only section that has given me issues since day one, and it's the reason I can't do well on this test. My highest official score has been a 164, but I know I can hit the 170s if I figure out what I'm doing wrong with LR. I've read every book, have seen every LR question in existence. I have no idea how to crack this section.

Can someone please provide me with LR guidance? I am planning on taking the June test. I'd be grateful just to score a -5 consistently. Right now, I'm scoring about -11. I've done every PT in existence as well. I'm just stuck and I don't know how to properly study LR without fresh PTs.

Thank you so much.

Comments

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

Have you read the Loophole yet?

• MisStudyingMisStudying Free Trial Member
    42 karma

@nz889910 said:
    Have you read the Loophole yet?

I have, but I have not found it to be helpful.

• barista17barista17 Member
    edited March 2021 112 karma

Basic Translation skills is how you do it. I know you do not find Cassidy's book helpful, but it's the key. Translate. Translate. Translate. Do translations properly and incorporate her debrief. Slow and steady wins the race. Cracking the section does not exist. A systematic approach that readies you for the aggressive battle the LSAT will wage on you on test day is what will win. Translating will increase your score, if you do it right. Then the rest of the book works. But if you cannot translate, then you will not go anywhere.

After all, if you cannot understand the stimulus, you will most certainly not understand the answer choices. Translating aids in understanding. At -11, you do not understand some stimuli. Sometimes understanding simply comes through slowing down. Harsh, and I do not mean to come off as such. But I want you to understand the importance of the stimulus and understanding it in your own terms.

Proceed however you feel is best for you, but I would encourage to take another look at Cassidy's book. I hated translating at the start, but now, I blow through the answer choices. You got this!

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Do you have a study buddy? Having to discuss/explain your thinking with another person is HUGELY beneficial and crystalizes your understanding of LR especially. This got me from what I would call "unpredictable" LR scores of -6 to -11 down to a consistent -3 to -5 under timed conditions. I am still working on it, but I have found this to be the most helpful step I have taken thus far.

• tonyahardzinskitonyahardzinski Core Member
    307 karma

You said you read the Loophole but... did you do every task she suggested?? If we don’t do the drills in it then we don’t get as much out of it.

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    500 karma

Not to hijack the thread, but since we're talking about using translation drills to improve LR, do you summarise the stimulus like you do in the drills on a timed test or do you just gain better comprehension as you do more drills?

• Mo SchaafMo Schaaf Member
    60 karma

@sarakimmel said:
    Do you have a study buddy? Having to discuss/explain your thinking with another person is HUGELY beneficial and crystalizes your understanding of LR especially. This got me from what I would call "unpredictable" LR scores of -6 to -11 down to a consistent -3 to -5 under timed conditions. I am still working on it, but I have found this to be the most helpful step I have taken thus far.

I completely agree with this! My study buddies have helped me immensely with improving my LR from -8/-10 average to -4/5 average.
    I've also heard that LSATMax has 'office hours' where you can listen to how other people (great test takers) go through problems. Again, just hearing how people think through LR questions can be super helpful, and makes you a more efficient test taker.