Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cold diagnostic 138

in General 40 karma

Hey guys I just took a cold diagnostic with no prep and got a 138.... Really disheartened because I'm aiming for atleast 160. I take my test in august. Do you think its possible in 5 months or should I push my test date to later

Comments

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

It definitely is, if you follow the curriculum and do the practice tests, you should be at 160 or even more.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

I definitely think that taking it completely cold you don't need to panic. You will improve dramatically your next several PTs as you get through the core curriculum. I think you should gauge yourself in July and see where you are then. If you aren't consistently scoring mid 150s at that point, I wouldn't rush to take it in August. It's unlikely you will improve that much more by the August test. I tried to cram my last month of studying and it ended up hurting me. But, if you are planning to apply early in the cycle and you aren't that much below 160, i would take it. In my opinion, a score that is a few points less but applied earlier in the cycle is better than waiting another few months. It really all depends where you want to go, as well as how your GPA and LSAT compare. I think you can even pay to have a score preview and cancel it if you want. Last thing, don't get disheartened!! You have not studied one minute for this test yet. It is not an easy test! It was the most complex test i and most other law school applicants have ever taken. It's not like the ACT or graduation tests. You cannot study the content of this test, you are mastering skills over content! Completely different way of thinking. You shouldn't know any of this stuff yet so i promise do not be discouraged. You will be fine. It took me about 6 weeks of studying before I saw any breakthrough. You just need to stay dedicated and structured in your studying and as long as you follow the 7Sage curriculum you WILL improve by a lot. Best of luck to you!

• 40 karma

Thank you guys so much. Really needed to hear all this

• hotranchsaucehotranchsauce Member
    edited March 2021 288 karma

I don't think anyone can exactly answer that for you, but I think the best answer I've read regarding a question like this was something along the lines of this:

Schedule your official test date(s) only after you're consistently hitting your score goal on practice tests.

Personally, I was @ 141 on my initial diagnostic, and my journey to better scores has taken alot longer than 5 months. But the LSAT is weird. You could very well hit a nice stride study-wise and be crushing your goals more quickly than most. It depends on many variables, not just your smartness or intellect.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would give myself the following guideline (This is very personalized, so don't take this as gospal):

Don't start studying logic games first. Start with LR.

Focus on conditionality (A --> B) and all the variants and keywords (unless, only if, etc etc). Make note cards and keep a list by you at all times to reference.

Don't study TOO much. Meaning study the keywords and methods, but DO PROBLEM SETS (later this will turn into practice tests, but for now focus on one question type at a time) (always use practice tests 1-35 for problem sets)! Start with main point questions. First do all the easiest ones. Each set has 5 problems. Remove the time restraints, check your answer after each question. If you got it wrong do it again.

For each question, find the context, premise, and conclusion, even if you don't need to in order to answer the question. You're not going for speed right now, you're just trying to grasp LR as a whole. Diagram each question and use a blank sheet of paper for each question. See how the questions are structured.

Maybe start doing some practice tests every once in a while, but stay within 1-35. Continue doing problem sets for each question type in LR, then move into logic games. Once you're familiar with each question type and you've exhausted your 1-35 practice test materials, begin routine practice tests from 35+ practice tests. Do it as much as possible without burning out until test day. If you notice you're missing a certain problem type on practice tests, take some time and re visit the CC or watch videos, then focus on it for a while, Then back to practice tests.

This is all in my opinion anyway. Good luck.

• foodplantsfoodplants Core Member
    46 karma

Hi OP how often do you plan on studying?

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

Totally agree with everyone else! I would maybe keep your test if it's already scheduled but don't make it a hard deadline, if you realize you need extra time just push the exam to later!

• TheMommaBearTheMommaBear Member
    348 karma

I feel the diagnostic shouldn’t be taken until you’ve at least familiarized yourself with the material. It can be disheartening to see such a low score, when really your potential is likely so much better than that.

If you commit yourself to studying, I believe August is a realistic goal. Good luck!