Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unusual Games

brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 1489 karma
Good morning, all-

I saw someone mention somewhere on the forum (can't seem to find it now) about unusual games making a reappearance and I'm trying to make sure I've been exposed to everything. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, when you all say "subzones," does that mean PT67, Game 4 specifically or what JY would call subcategories? I looked it up and saw that PT67 mentioned subzones specifically so I took and BR'd that one.

Other "weird" games I can think of off hand are circular, mapping (like the Zephyr airline one, right?) and pattern games. Are there any other weird types that I'm missing?

Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    The 3 that I never knew how to do in real time until I saw an explanation are:
    1) PT 72, Game 4 -- didn't know what the deductions were because I didn't understand the rules
    2) The game with mulch
    3) The game with the red, green, and white balls that needed to be stacked in 6 (I think this one is in the 60s)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah said:
    The game with the red, green, and white balls that needed to be stacked in 6 (I think this one is in the 60s)
    BLARGH this game. PT 63 methinks.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Omg the stained glass windows one (also in the 60s)...
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Stained glass was pure evil
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 578 karma
    I'm not leaving any stone unturned. The conventional wisdom floating around is that the weird games (NOPST clans, RSTVZ speeches, Circular Tables, Circular Zones with planes flying around, Subway lines, mixing chemicals, etc.) are not going to make a re-appearance and therefore we should not worry about at least having a cursory view of their components and have an idea of how to solve them. I find this to be bad advice, however. As preptest 72 game 4 clearly shows, the LSAT writers will have no problem throwing in a game that doesn't match the main grouping, in-out, and sequencing game format.

But that being said, if the game completely throws the majority of test-takers, you'll be able to get more wrong and still score high. If you took the time to practice these games and they don't completely stifle you on test day, then you might get the +5 points that will put you up in that 175-180 range.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Cool. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"Dr. Yamata" said:
    As preptest 72 game 4 clearly shows, the LSAT writers will have no problem throwing in a game that doesn't match the main grouping, in-out, and sequencing game format.
    WORD to this. Good thing we have JY's videos on all the games ... In the game of logic (games), you win or you die*.

*or, uh, you like ... get a lil' lower LSAT score. Not the same thing as death.