Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Scholarship

athenarusathenarus Alum Member

Hello! I have been accepted to a Law School with a lot of scholarship money. However, I'm worried that after I send my "final transcript"this Spring Semester, they will alter or even end up not offering scholarship money anymore. Does this happen often or even at all? Do Law School's report students GPA and LSAT with the score they applied as or the LAST CUMULATIVE GPA including your second semester senior grades? If Law School's report with the GPA you applied with, wouldn't my lower GPA not be of an issue to them? I applied as a 3.75 GPA which was in their 75% percentile. With my Spring Semester Grades, I'll drop down to a 3.6~. However, the 3.6 is still higher compared to their median GPA.

Comments

• athenarusathenarus Alum Member
    22 karma

I guess my main question is do Law Schools recalculate your GPA after your FINAL senior grades and report that instead of the GPA you applied with and got accepted with? Therefore, do law schools lower your scholarship money if your GPA falls.

• edited April 2021 1952 karma

i can answer your first question. in short, they report the gpa/lsat numbers of the matriculants to the program. so they will take your cumulative gpa.

long answer: they report the numbers of their "first-year class," which is defined as:

The “2020 first-year class” is defined as those students who enrolled as first-year students in the period October 6, 2019 to October 5, 2020 and were attending classes as of February 2, 2020 for the winter/spring enrollees, June 15, 2020 for the summer enrollees, and October 5, 2020 for the fall enrollees.

The 2020 first-year class includes:
    • A. Students who enroll after applying and being accepted to begin law school in the period October 6, 2019 to October 5, 2020. Include in this category students who were admitted early (e.g., in their junior year of college) to begin law school during the period October 6, 2019 to October 5, 2020.
    • B. Deferred students – students who were admitted to begin law school in a prior year but deferred admission and are beginning law school during the period October 6, 2019 to October 5, 2020.
    • C. Previously admitted students – students who may have started classes in a previous term or year, transferred with less than 15 credits accepted, withdrew or took a leave of absence before earning any credits, and then enrolled as first-year students during the period October 6, 2019 to October 5, 2020.

The first-year class does not include:
    • Students who were readmitted and enrolled after being disqualified from the Law School.
    • Students admitted and enrolled after disqualification from another law school.
    • Transfer students – students admitted and enrolled with 15 or more credits for prior law study from law schools in the United States.
    • Students admitted and enrolled with 15 or more credits for prior law study at a law school outside the United States.
    • Students who completed a semester in an earlier year and are returning after a leave of absence to complete their 1L year.

sources: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/questionnaire/
    https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/statistics/