Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get above the low 160s plateau?

edited May 2021 in General 476 karma

For those who have experience with breaking above the low 160s plateau, what helped you?

I have been PTing and BRing for the last two months. My timed PT stats of my last 5 tests are RC: -8 average, LR: -7average, and LG:0-3. My BR is between 170-179.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

When I got to this point it was about learning to implement strategy!

I'd first ask, are you utilizing a skipping strategy in LR? That's a great place to start if you aren't!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2021 8313 karma

Aside from being absolutely solid with your foundational skills (conditional logic, causal reasoning, etc.), timing, translation, question type strategies, and adequate depth of review are some of the more high value areas that can lead to broad gains across every section.

• fullstopfullstop Member
    169 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Aside from being absolutely solid with your foundational skills (conditional logic, causal reasoning, etc.), timing, translation, question type strategies, and adequate depth of review are some of the more high value areas that can lead to broad gains across every section.

could you provide an example of question type strategies?

• 273 karma

Definitely look at your analytics and then drill your weaknesses.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@fullstop said:

@canihazJD said:

could you provide an example of question type strategies?

Specifically for question types (a strategy that falls within your overall attack on the section and process/form for individual questions) you should be able to see the stem as a block of text without having to subvocalize the words for all but the most complicated or miscellaneous questions (those require translation), and determine what the QType is. You should be able to relate that type automatically to a specific mechanical strategy and/or criteria for answer choice selection, for instance:

"The conclusion above depends on which one of the following assumptions?"

NA

The right answer choice negated will destroy the argument.

That should all happen in like a second. Just one component of a fluid overall battle plan.

• 476 karma

@brookegojazz
    I've recently started skipping but I find that I still don't have enough time to dedicate the necessary time for the curve breaker questions, so I'll have to work on my timing on earlier questions.

• 476 karma

@canihazJD thanks for your comment! It is my translation and question type strategies that are lacking right now. I'll go back to the Loophole book to reread the question type strategies and practice drilling blind translation after. Did you use a different method for translations?

And do you have some advice on being consistent on RC? I found that my score could be anywhere between -3 to -11. And if you don't mind me asking, what's your form for LR and RC?

Thank you!

• 476 karma

@fullstop I need to work on my question type strategies. The question types I have a straightforward strategy for are:

1. Sufficient Assumption: draw and link conditionals.
    2. Flaw: Find the gap between the premise and conclusion
    3. Necessary Assumption: negate each answer to see if it makes the conclusion incorrect.
    4. Weaken: Weaken the connection between the premise and conclusion
    5. Strengthen: Strengthen the connection between the premise and conclusion

I don't have a specific form for the others. I am going back to the Loophole book to restudy. If you have any advice for the above or other question types, please let me know!

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

Bagelinthemorning, just be wary that one strategy might not work for every question of that type. In later tests there are plenty of Necessary assumption questions where the AC's are purposely negation-proof, so the negation strategy doesn't work quite as well. I've also heard that in general where Stimulus's and AC's are becoming much more abstract in nature and less "mechanistic" I do think Loophole works really well for abstract questions - where you can't just plug letters into a conditional.

• ggoeklerggoekler Member
    30 karma

Just broke through a wall at 162 into the 170s.

LG - you’re LG sounds good, if your missing more than 1, drill the type. And just keep LG chops strong in general.

LR - This is where you can gain big. You need to skip long questions and BR thoroughly
    Drill types here as well.

RC - change something and try it for a section. If you dont highlight, do a section and force yourself to. I even tried doing some sections were i read the passage twice and then wouldn’t look back unless there was maybe a line reference.

Long run, RC is about really READING COMP. You gotta comprehend it and be able to understand it and even draw inferences from it.

The night before I broke my plateau I watched the core curriculum videos again about RC with intention, and implemented the kind of strategies and thought process JY detailed in the videos.