Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Should I expect from a Tutor?

Courtney-4Courtney-4 Member
in General 15 karma

Hi y'all, I've been seeing a tutor on a weekly basis for the last few weeks, and while it has been beneficial to work through difficult questions with someone, I don't know if it's "worth it". Typically my tutor and I go through questions that I missed in my most recent PT but I'm wondering if there are better ways to utilize that time.

What do you all do during tutoring sessions? Is there something that you found more useful than reviewing missed questions?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

At a certain point, review does become the most productive approach. I guess the key is that it is done with a focus on performance, not content. Like you don't need to pay to see why an answer is right or wrong... a tutor should be helping you address why you lost that specific point, and what work you can do, or changes you can implement to not lose that point again. It shouldn't stop at you just understanding the question.

• overthistestoverthistest Member
    166 karma

I recently stopped seeing a tutor for LR because of the same issues you are describing. It felt like I was paying someone to explain something I could have explained to myself in review and it was a giant waste of time for me. Honestly I find that with LR most of the time it is more beneficial to go through by yourself to figure out what you did wrong and how to get it right next time. Thats the only way you are going to learn and prevent the same mistakes from being made in the future. I cant really speak on other sections - I would imagine that LG tutoring would be very beneficial if you needed it just because it is more of a strategical approach and its easier to improve in that section. As far as RC goes... I actually have a different tutor that has helped me greatly. Im not sure how else RC is tutored but she has taught me a method where you dont have to even read the passage or understand it really at all in order to answer the questions. Im not sure when you are testing (her approach takes some time to learn and expert) but it has been worth it for me. I was terrible in RC before (my worst section) I would seriously miss over 10 questions at minimum on a good day but now I am missing less than 4 max. Her method has helped me improve in LR too. If you are interested feel free to send me a message I can give you her information!