Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you simulating the August 2021 test format?

cinnamoncinnamon Member
in General 13 karma

This might have an obvious solution, but I'm relatively new to 7Sage so please bear with me.

I'm signed up for the August test and have been alternating my PTs between the "simulate flex" option and the default four-section option, because neither seems to be a perfect representation of the August and later LSAT format. The flex option doesn't built stamina for a four-section test, but the default option isn't a 1:1 scoring conversion because there are two graded LR sections. I'm curious if there's a better approach. What have you found to be the best way to simulate the August test format?

(Maybe 7Sage will update the test options soon now that the three-section flex is no more? I'd love to take a four-section test--even if the extra section is always LR because of the previous test format--and have all four sections "graded" so I can review incorrect answers but only have three count toward my actual score.)

Comments

• 476 karma

Hey!

It's helped to take the full test. After, I score it to see how I did on time and raw score on the LR section. After getting this data, I usually convert it into Flex after the fact so that I can see the score in flex.

Just FYI, I found that they are very similar when I drop the second LR.

• cinnamoncinnamon Member
    edited June 2021 13 karma

@Bagelinthemorning - Thank you! That's really helpful to know that you've found your scores to be similar after dropping the second LR. I wasn't sure how comparable they would be and hadn't taken the time to try to figure it out.

After, I score it to see how I did on time and raw score on the LR section. After getting this data, I usually convert it into Flex after the fact so that I can see the score in flex.

How are you converting your score to Flex after the fact?

The trends graphs on my analytics page are a bit wonky with the second LR section coming in and out!

• PROMISED LANDPROMISED LAND Member
    340 karma

@cinnamon Following. Was thinking the same thing!
    @Bagelinthemorning I never thought to do this, thanks for sharing!

• 476 karma

No problem! I convert my preptest after and check "LSAT Flex mode" before I save and score.

Just keep in my mind that it erases your attempt at the second LR so collect everything you need from it before changing the scoring method.

• amgfan783amgfan783 Member
    20 karma

Following

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

Hi @cinnamon and @Bagelinthemorning,

If you took a four-section PrepTest and you would like to estimate your Flex score, then place your results in our Flex Score Convertor to estimate your flex score.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.

• Learned AstronomerLearned Astronomer Free Trial Member
    145 karma

@"Juliet - 7Sage" Thanks! Is the team at 7Sage working on a way to introduce a random experimental section within the PrepTest platform? Or is the team working on some other way of simulating the new test format?

• jknarf513jknarf513 Member
    189 karma

Yeah I'm really struggling with the same thing. I've been taking regular 4 section PTs, but I have a feeling having 2 RC sections (if RC is experimental) will drain me more than another LR section. I'm considering taking a timed flex PT and then maybe pausing it after the second section and taking a RC problem set from another PT? Then taking the final section in the flex.
    I know there have been so many changes in the LSAT world since last year, and I really appreciate all 7Sage has done to adjust accordingly. Hoping this is another change 7Sage is able to accommodate :smile:

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

@"Learned Astronomer" said:
    @"Juliet - 7Sage" Thanks! Is the team at 7Sage working on a way to introduce a random experimental section within the PrepTest platform? Or is the team working on some other way of simulating the new test format?

Hi there,

We are currently looking into this. Unfortunately, we don't have a roll-out date or any other details yet. Sorry!

• vam621vam621 Member
    102 karma

What I do to simulate the newer flex tests; I will pick a random section I haven’t done from a PT in the 1-30 range, and insert it randomly into my test. For example, I’ll do an experimental LR section after my LG section of the exam. I’ll do 2 sections, 10 minute break, then 2 other sections to finish with that experimental section mixed in at random. I still check the “simulate flex” option for my most accurate score however I like practicing with 4 sections regardless.

• marsbarsmarsbars Core Member
    18 karma

For the real LSAT do they drop your lowest LR for the 4 sections, or is randomly selected?
    Also, for 7sage after you 4 sections test do they score all of the sections and then you have to manually selected flex for it to not score one of the sections?

• makennamarksmakennamarks Alum Member
    7 karma

@marsbars As far as I know, the experimental section can now be an extra LR, LG, or RC section. Of course you'll know which of the three sections it was, but you won't know which of the two is experimental and which is scored. The experimental section is pre-selected so no they don't drop the lowest score unfortunately. Hope this helps!