Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two Cancels

7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
in General 932 karma
So I have now canceled 2 lsats. I would have kept my last test if I didn't have to guess on a full game plus a couple of questions. I have not had to do that one time during my entire prep. How do you think law schools will look at this?

Comments

• Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    I'm not sure about X law school, but I know UT uses the highest LSAT you have. So.. cancel-cancel-180 is just as good as 180. The only time when that would matter is if there's someone else with the exact same pattern.. like 170-175-180. But how often is that really gonna happen? I don't think you'll have a problem except for HYS type schools
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    I know it puts a lot of pressure on my last take. I felt like I would have gotten a 163-166 with a perfect logic game. I have done perfect around 5 times in my prep and usually miss no more than 3 or 4. I know I missed at least 10 probably more like 15. If I got a 153-154 like my score chart suggest, I would not be able to get into any school that I would want to attend. Hence, I canceled my score. In hindsight I'm not sure if the games were just that hard or if I panicked on a question that didn't work out with my game board that through me off. I have friends who have similar backgrounds and gpa/pt scores (we grew up together) who got into Vanderbilt, WUSTL, Georgetown and Columbia law. But I feel the two cancels may be an unfortunate, annoying hindrance. Just seeking feedback.
  • zotter14zotter14 Free Trial Member
    65 karma
    In a similar situation myself. I cancelled LSAT in December 2014 due to family issues (father passed away). Just took LSAT June 2015 and the last logic game really threw me off, plus there was construction outside during the first LR section (I had three, one experimental) so I ended up guessing on the last five questions of the first LR.

I'm considering cancelling again, because I'm sure that even with a curve, I will be nowhere near my average PT which was 166-170 (I would get into every law school I applied to with my PT scores). I would like to know how most law schools would look at a cancel-cancel-(166-170) score (assuming that I explain myself in the addendum)? OR should I just keep the score and have a cancel-155?-166/170?

Advice is greatly appreciated.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I wouldn't write an addendum for June, maybe write one for December. I think it's really hard to write an addendum that doesn't come off as whiny or as a way to save face. You have a compelling reason for why you decided to cancel December. If I was on adcom (I'm not obviously), I would ask you, "How come you decided not to postpone December?" And, "There were other people at your testing center in June who also had to hear the noises -- how did this affect YOU more than others?"

I'm sorry if that comes off as harsh. It's meant to be sincere advice and provide things to consider things we might not have.
    578 karma
    You really think by missing 5 questions and a game you will get -35 questions? That's what you'd be looking at to hit 155. That means roughly 8 or 9 wrong on each scored section. I doubt it's that bad.
    65 karma
    Yea I definitely agree that I don't want to come off as a whiner or as a person who makes excuses, but then again I'm positive that my score yesterday doesn't reflect my potential. So the question remains whether to cancel a second time or keep the score. I'm retaking anyway in December -- its decided.

Dr. Yamata, It's more like one game fully guessed and I ran out of time for another one. So around -10/12 for LG (assuming I get the rest correct), and since I don't know whether or not the first LR was experimental or not, that's another potential -5. So all together, I'm looking at around -17 with everything else being perfect (which it most likely wont be). Overall, I'm thinking about -25.
    932 karma
    Darn Games. Do you guys know any games from preptest 1-74 I could practice on that you think are similar in setup to the ones I just got destroyed by yesterday.
    932 karma
    zotter14 I would not have canceled if it had just been one bad game. The fact I struggled with 2 games and probably missed some level 5 questions in the other two (imo) means my score was probably unacceptable for me. I could live with a 157+ and still retake but I erred on the side of caution. I believe I had a low 150's based on logic games.
    578 karma
    Yeah -20 for me is sounding about right. I really hope my default letter is a winner!
    932 karma
    The absolute last thing I wanted to do was cancel again because it makes me look flaky. Who knows though.
    65 karma
    7sagelsatstudent180 - TBH I think I struggled with another game as well but ran out of time to review it, that's why I'm considering another cancel. I've read in a lot of other forums that all they really care about is your highest score.
    65 karma
    The last game was a killer for most people, which leads me to hope that even with -12 a 170 is still possible (curve). This is the only reason I'm considering not cancelling and just seeing my darn score. Ugh.
    578 karma
    @zotter.. Just going over the last 10 tests.. the most the 170 curve has been is -14 questions. Most are -10 or -11. But yeah, it's *possible*
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I didn't even think of cancelling, I don't see the point. Law schools see it and even if they might not say they took it into consideration really if it were me in the back of mind I'm thinking why did they cancel, obviously they didn't do well so either way they know you didn't do well. I'm probably wrong but that's my take. I'd be surprised if I broke 160 this test but I can't not know my score that would kill me.
    932 karma
    It sucks. If I had finished on more game I would be waiting like everyone else for my score.