Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement font size requirements

andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member

Hi Everyone.

I've just spent the last few weeks crafting my personal statement (with a 7sage editor) and have an essay I'm very proud of at 2 pages 11pt. font.

However, I've noticed some schools specifically request 2 pages 12pt. font. When I increase the size to 12, it adds another half a page. I really don't want to mess with my essay further.

Does anyone know what would happen if I submit a PS in 11pt font, even though they ask for 12?

Help

Thanks!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

I'd put a pretty high priority on following a school's explicit instructions.

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    edited June 2021 252 karma

what font did you use? some fonts at 12 pt are smaller than other fonts at 11 pt. Times New Roman (even though it looks awful) is really compact compared to some of the sanserif fonts. also: you can 'condense' your font to squish it a little more (try 0.15 or max 0.25), you might just save the space you need doing that - with a 12 pt font.

There are ways to 'fudge' the fonts without breaking the rule. ... I love Helvetica, but prefer to condense it, it's a font that is mammoth compared to TNR also (check out Helvetica at 11pt compared to TNR at 12pt), so maybe do some print-out compares (hold them up to a window). I wouldn't start deleting parts of your essay yet until you've tested out options ... Try even to squish your margins a little: if you have them at 1-inch, try 0.98 or 0.95 max. It won't be noticeable to the eye and can help make words that bumped the line down, instead fit.

If you DO switch to a different font, make sure you use it throughout your application material. Then it looks like you're more graphically minded v. trying to fog the boundaries.

• highlight your text, right-click, 'font'
    • advanced, spacing - pull down to condense, change the number from 1pt to 0.15-0.25. 0.3 and up are noticeable to the eye. Personally, I don't like to go over 0.2, but sometimes it's an emergency ;)

• if you ever use InDesign, you can actually mess about with your font size, take it from 12 pt to 11.75 pt. I think in word you can do 11.5 pt, but that it only works in 0.5 increments.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

@love2learn - I used Times New Roman. Thanks for the details!

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

As a former admissions officer, I strongly encourage candidates to follow the exact application instructions. You are also being evaluated on your ability to read and follow directions. Admissions officers want to see that candidates respect the process. Good luck!

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

@"selene.steelman" Thank you! I very much appreciate your response.