Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! PT 137 BR 166

dumblsatwriterdumblsatwriter Free Trial Member
in General 7 karma
Hello all,

I started PTing recently after finishing the curriculum. My timed PT was 137 while my BR was 166!

Any hope for me? What can I conclude from this? Any suggestion is appreciated

Comments

• Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    Timing is clearly an issue for you.. If you finished all the questions, then the time pressure caused you to be more inaccurate. If you didn't get to all the questions, well, that's what caused the low score. Keep drilling question types and try to build up some speed. Finishing in time and accurately is a function of how quickly you respond correctly to each queston. Get the average time per question down, and your total time per section will go down. Timed PTs are useful to get an overall "feel" for how fast you should be going, and to diagnose issues like this.
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    You've only taken 1? It takes practice. Don't start worrying until you get the same results at 15. There is definitely a pattern with the tests.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    What sections did you improve in the most after BR?
  • JuliaZLSATJuliaZLSAT Member
    77 karma
    I agree with @ashley3460 . Practice, practice and practice. It seems that you more or less understand the questions, you just need to learn to pace yourself and it comes with practice. Timed drills, sections and tests will help the most.
  • dumblsatwriterdumblsatwriter Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    Thank you all. @mpits001 I actually skipped 10 from first LR, 11 from second LR, 13 from RC and 14 from LG. All of them had significant increase. Probably games had the most as BR was -0.

Can I get that much faster with practice?
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    You might consider some of the books that arrange questions by type. That reaallly helped me pick up on the patterns in LR a lot faster than if I had 25 different questions of each type.
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    Agree with @"Dr. Yamata" You learn how to identify the question type quickly by doing a bunch of them in bundles. You can see how many different ways "must be true, most strongly supported, Ect." are asked.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    just keep drilling. it's to soon to worry. make sure you have a good grasp on the method and core curriculum. start off slow and see if you can finish say 10 questions in 15 mins, or 20 in 30 mins, maybe a whole section in 42 mins... then after you get the hang of it, time yourself normally. I took a kaplan class that kinda was a bust, but they give you so much material. check this book out.

http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Mastery-Timing-Practice-Reasoning/dp/B004NJM6YW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1434026134&sr=8-7&keywords=kaplan+logical+reasoning

it arranges by question type and difficulty, and gives you explanations. additionally, it has like 25 practice sections you can drill.

good luck=)
  • dumblsatwriterdumblsatwriter Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    Thank you @ashley3460 @"Dr. Yamata" @nanchito . As for drilling, I am assuming that you mean to do timed drilling then BR them, right? Also, as for section practicing, do you mean using old PTs real sections or pick a one type question and drill let's say 25 questions?
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Hey @dumblsatwriter -

Not to take away from @nanchito 's advice (which was spot on) but you need to make sure that any material you're working through includes official LSAC-created questions and only official questions. Why waste your time with something that only approximates actual test questions when there is so much real material available?

It wasn't clear from the description of the book linked to above whether the questions were Kaplan-created or nor but Kaplan has been known to write their own questions.

If you plan to drill by type, I'd recommend the Cambridge packets.

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/logical-reasoning-by-type/
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    edited June 2015 1762 karma
    @dumblsatwriter Yea, timed drilling and br. Id say do a bunch of the same type of question then work your way up to actual sections you pluck from the older preptests you have like 1-34

@brna0714 The book cites every single question on the bottom of the page. for the sections they tell you what preptest it came from, but yea, make sure you're doing ACTUAL lsac questions for sure.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @dumblsatwriter said:
    Can I get that much faster with practice?
    Yes! Speed comes only with practice. Keep your head up :)