Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important information about the LSAC Fee Waiver Program

Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited July 2021 in General 5740 karma

Effective July 8, 2021, the LSAC have introduced two distinct Fee Waiver packages to assist candidates of varying economic circumstances. Candidates who meet the criteria will receive access to the following, based on the tier for which they are approved.

Tier 1: Designed for the most under-resourced candidates. Candidates approved for Tier 1 will receive, at no charge:

• Two LSATs, within the two-year fee waiver period
  • One score preview, first-time test takers only
  • One CAS subscription
  • One LawHub PrepPlus subscription, provides one year of free access to more than 80 full-length authentic LSAT practice tests
  • Six Law School Reports

Tier 2: Designed for less under-resourced candidates. Candidates approved for Tier 2 will receive, at no charge:

• One LSAT, within the two-year fee waiver period
  • One score preview, first-time test takers only
  • One CAS subscription
  • One LawHub PrepPlus subscription, provides one year of free access to more than 80 full-length authentic LSAT practice tests
  • Three Law School Reports

Eligibility for the LSAC Fee Waiver Program is based on the U.S. federal poverty guidelines, with different thresholds for independent and dependent candidates. In the past, for example, an independent candidate earning less than or equal to 250% of the federal poverty guidelines, and a dependent candidate earning up to 150% of the poverty guidelines, were eligible for the LSAC fee waiver, provided they met thresholds for cash balances, overall assets, and other requirements.

Under the new program, an independent candidate earning up to 250% of the federal poverty guidelines will continue to be eligible for the Tier 1 fee waiver package. An independent candidate earning 250-300% of the poverty guideline will now be eligible for the Tier 2 fee waiver package. Similarly, dependent candidates will be eligible for the Tier 1 fee waiver package if they earn up to 150% of the poverty guideline; if their income exceeds this amount, they can receive further consideration if their income combined with their family income does not exceed 300% of the poverty guidelines. All candidates will still need to meet other eligibility criteria.

In addition to creating the new tiered system for fee waivers, the LSAC is also increasing the maximum cash balances candidates can have and still qualify for one of the fee waiver tiers. Previously, the limitations on cash balances had prevented some candidates from qualifying for fee waivers.

The LSAC encourage students to apply for fee waivers at least six months in advance of when they plan to take the LSAT, so they have an opportunity to fully utilize PrepPlus, which is included in the fee waiver packages.

Comments

• darrenmnelsondarrenmnelson Alum Member
    23 karma

I keep getting an "error processing your request" when trying to make my account. I get to the part where they ask for the additional information, I fill everything out and then it says error and follows with some statement about the using the buttons solely on the LSAC page which I don't understand what it is referring to. I would love if anyone could help me with this problem.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

@darrenmnelson said:
    I keep getting an "error processing your request" when trying to make my account. I get to the part where they ask for the additional information, I fill everything out and then it says error and follows with some statement about the using the buttons solely on the LSAC page which I don't understand what it is referring to. I would love if anyone could help me with this problem.

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that.

You can try reaching out to LSAC for assistance. You can reach LSAC by calling 215.968. 1001 or emailing LSACinfo@LSAC.org.

• JuniebeeJonesJuniebeeJones Core Member
    22 karma

I have officially received a letter about my accommodations. Thanks for the information.