Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average Time Needed for Studying Before Taking Real LSAT

ryguy1234ryguy1234 Member
in General 11 karma

About how long, on average, should someone study for the LSAT before taking the real test? Or, does it depend on how ready I feel via target scores on the practice tests?

Comments

• tparkkkkkkktparkkkkkkk Member
    26 karma

If you want a 170 probably a year to be safe, that's what 7Sage preaches as well

• SvenssonSvensson Alum Member
    62 karma

This is a really difficult question to answer. It really depends on what your diagnostic score was vs. what your target score is.

If you got a 155 and you need a 150 then you're pretty much good to go! I'd say you wouldn't need much study time.

If you got a 150 and you need a 170+ then I'd say you need to put in some serious hours. The amount of study time depends on how quickly you learn the material.

I've been at it since January and I still have lots more to go, but this test has not come naturally to me.

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

"Average" is 3-6 months, but as mentioned above, what you personally need to do is dependent on your goal score vs. your diagnostic as well as how fast you can learn the material. And also, how much free time do you have for studying. Someone who can dedicate 8 hours a day vs. only 2 hours a day may be ready a lot faster.

• Learned AstronomerLearned Astronomer Free Trial Member
    145 karma

@tparkkkkkkk Do you know where I can find where 7Sage says this?

• onomatopoeiaonomatopoeia Member
    59 karma

Seconding what everyone else has said and adding in personal experience: I studied for a year, 12-18 hours a week. It paid off, but it really wasn't until around month 10 that I started feeling like I had any kind of handle on the test. When I first started studying, I thought I'd be ready in 5 months. So, it definitely depends on your goals, but for most people I'd say be ready to buckle in for a while.

• tparkkkkkkktparkkkkkkk Member
    26 karma

@"Learned Astronomer" Pretty sure JY says 1 year in one of the first videos in the 7sage syllabus, if not the first video.

• lalalandlalaland Core Member
    edited July 2021 28 karma

I think it's really hard to come up with a hard and fast rule on this, because it's so individualized based on what commitments you have outside LSAT prep (like work or school), what your diagnostic is v. your goal score, when you plan to apply, and what your learning style is. I know of people who have been at the LSAT for over a year, and people who have gotten their goal score after just a few months of studying!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

There isn't really an average. It's your own journey, but fortunately we're not alone because we have this community.

• LSAT LizardLSAT Lizard Alum Member
    edited July 2021 331 karma

@"Learned Astronomer" the particular place where JY discusses study timeframes is here.

Definitely it is true that everybody has different mileage here, but people do also tend to underestimate the raw time commitment that the LSAT requires.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

I know it varies for everyone but I would recommend a year minimum to actually learn the skills required for the test. They will only continue to serve you and (in my experience!) anything under a year forces you to cut corners because the test comes so fast!

• eriksisraeleriksisrael Member
    16 karma

Give yourself a year, but understand that there's some cushion built into that. It's unlikely that you will maintain constant effort over an entire year. But if you give yourself a year, you're much more likely to get in at least 6 months of high quality prep.

• Learned AstronomerLearned Astronomer Free Trial Member
    145 karma

@Tennysoj @tparkkkkkkk thank you both!

• ck.harringtonck.harrington Alum Member
    30 karma

Hey all, I'm planning to give myself a solid year and a half for this test. This test is so important that you have to make sure you thoroughly understand the psychology of the test. Waiting a year or two to solidify your chances and/or scholarship opportunities are well worth the wait.