Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preptests every week OR Preptests at the end of the prepcourse

LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
in General 167 karma

Personally, I am going to try and stick it through with the approach that 7sage has (preptests at the end). I used to try and take a preptest every week, but I felt it was useless if I had not learned and drilled ALL of the material needed. I always seemingly answered questions I had not studied and it just seemed counterintuitive.

I want which one do you think helps more and from personal experience, has helped scores increase.

PREPTESTS
  1. When do you take your preptests and why?26 votes
    1. On a weekly/bi-weekly basis
      38.46%
    2. At the end of the prepcourse
      61.54%

Comments

• zoomzoomzoomzoom Member
    462 karma

I would wait until the prep course. And here's why - if you take preptests even before you finished the core curriculum, you are going to miss questions simply because you were never exposed to that concept just yet. Plus, it's during the curriculum phase where you start honing good habits and strategies.

The purpose of taking preptests should be to assess how well you know the material in timed conditions while using good strategies. But if you don't know what you don't know, as well as having bad habits, then why take it anyways?

Finish the curriculum and start going hard on PT's then. The LSAT is a journey, not a sprint. Take the time now to form good habits and learn well. You will do better on PT's then.

• Arman080Arman080 Member
    165 karma

I never finished the core curriculum. JY himself said you are not "supposed" to finish it but rather come back to it when you struggle with a specific question. If you have a ton of time (1 year+) I would say nothing is wrong with your approach. But, if you have less than a year I would say take a test at least bi-weekly (take the prep tests under 30, the older ones are good for stamina building and LG). I think building stamina and timing skills takes a long time so starting earlier isn't bad. Just don't take prep test 40+ before you finish whatever theory it is you are working on/reading/learning.

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

I waited until the end of the prep course. I should qualify that I didn't do each and every problem set, but I did watch most of the core curriculum videos on how to approach certain question types and sections. I personally wanted a strong grasp of the basics before I started tackling actual practice tests.

• LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
    167 karma

Thanks everyone. I too like the approach of taking my preptests after the course or once I have a grasp on concepts. Seems way more reasonable and hopefully doing things this way should increase my score.