Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking LR Perfection

Hope everyone is doing well!

I am hoping to get some advice from those who have perfected LR. What materials, drills, insights, section strategies etc helped you perfect this section?

Comments

• edited August 2021 571 karma

I have managed to get down to -2 relatively frequently and -1 a single time, so not -- quite -- perfection. I would note, however, that to achieve perfection is never done through aiming for it. Just make sure you are studying the underlying principles to each question type. Some question types are more augmented towards mechanical approaches (i.e. SA and NA).

I would learn first what JY calls "cookie cutter" questions. For example, to approach SA questions I will always ask myself "what is the jump or bridge the author is making between their premise and conclusion?" The answer choice will ~almost~ always include a word exclusive to the premise and another exclusive to the conclusion.

Once you can generally "perfect" those mechanical questions, move on to the more abstract (i.e. parallel flaw and simply more difficult questions in a set). These require you to REALLY understand the stimulus before moving forward. Although, I would say all questions require that to a lesser degree.

More than anything, always practice and review your ACs. Make sure you know exactly why you missed a question and how not to the next time. With enough practice, this knowledge will become implicitly implemented and you will go faster. Perfection is a slow and very unintentional process in LR -- and life lol.

• 10 karma

Sometimes we need to look elsewhere and find different approaches or reasoning behind correct answer choices. 7sage did wonders for me in LG that other resources did not suffice for, however, I don't think I understand all of the LR question types based on JY's explanations (sorry JY, still appreciate you). Although very helpful in breaking down questions, other resources may give you that extra* boost you need. I targeted my weaknesses from the Analytics page on 7sage and looked into different books for different explanations. It's not that 7sage doesn't do a good job of explaining, but sometimes we just need some more information for it to really click.
    Once you get a hold of another resource you like, target your weaknesses and take very thorough notes on how to approach it, specific key words to look for, formulas, different flaws, etc. Then make a problem set with your weaknesses and use those notes to answer the questions untimed. Get a very thorough understanding of why you're selecting each answer. This will really embed the thought process behind it. Hope this helps! And again, sorry for 7sage slander </3

• 246 karma

@DontPay4LawSchool @luludoesntgetthis thank you for taking the time to give your insights! I definitely will attempt at giving your advice a try!

• 424 karma

I got fairly close to perfecting - -0 about half the time, and -1/-2 at worst, generally - and I completely agree with the above answers. Spot on. Even if you love JY’s explanations, hearing info from a different source can really help you ingrain it into your mind. Master the fundamentals. And dig deep to review the ones you get wrong. Don’t just be like “oh, got it.” Go deeper. Understand it like you understand 4+4. Master em.

• 246 karma

@"Hal Incandenza" Thanks for your reply and insight!

• czheng15czheng15 Member
    16 karma

I need help too! Scoring around -5/-7 on LR. Only on those super easy LR sections I would get a -2. Struggling to bring it down to a constant -2. Hate the LSAT as always :neutral: