Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June Lsat 149 and a Master degree

LoveLawJD21LoveLawJD21 Alum Member

I got 149 for June flex test, I have a Master degree. Am I able to get accepted to a Tier 3 or 4 Law school ?

Comments

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

Do you mean the top 14?

• LoveLawJD21LoveLawJD21 Alum Member
    121 karma

@Cynthia-2 definitely not T14. I just want to get in to a 3rd & 4th Tier Law Schools.

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Have you explored the Law Schools GPA/LSAT ranking page on this website?

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

There are plenty of resources which list 25th/Median/75th percentiles for LSAT and GPA. the fact that you have a masters degree isn't going to matter too much, but maybe will be taken into consideration. There are definitely some schools out there that will accept a 149. I just discovered that LSAC has a tool where you can implement your lsat and undergrad gpa and it will give you a list of all the schools and your chances of acceptance.

• jadynl22jadynl22 Free Trial Member
    56 karma

LSAC said that schools do not take graduate degrees into consideration for admission. However, LSAC webinars had guest AC that heavily discussed viewing applications holistically. If you can show the law school you have something special to bring to the table, perhaps discussing some skills you gain in grad school within your admissions essays, you could use it to your advantage there.
    I recommend using the website @andrew.rsn mentioned

• Barbie BlondeBarbie Blonde Member
    152 karma

hey there,
    I was kinda in the same boat as you are. Some schools do take into account the fact that you have a masters degree especially if you had high marks in your masters degree. The best thing that I would do is contact the select schools you would want to be admitted to and ask specifically if they take it into account

• LoveLawJD21LoveLawJD21 Alum Member
    edited July 2021 121 karma

Thanks all for your inputs. I think i will be fine for >T100 law school. As you remcommended, I did some research and was impressed that there are quite a few law schools take 149, and even some law school has a median below 149. I got 134 June 2020 Lsat, being a full time worker and family obligations I managed to score 149 this june Lsat. I am done with the test and just move on.

• mdf1960mdf1960 Free Trial Member
    54 karma

You probably can get into some lower ranked law schools, but 149 is definitely lower than most schools want to go. What's your GPA?

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

It's not impossible to get into a T14 school with an LSAT score well below their medians, but I will say that it's probably very rare. Like others have mentioned, LSAC does not consider graduate school degree GPAs. Your LSAT score and undergraduate GPA will be counted.

If getting into a T3 or T4 school is your goal, I would recommend that you study more in order to increase your LSAT score. You have a stronger chance of gaining acceptance, as well as scholarship money, if you meet the school's median LSAT score or higher. I believe Columbia Law School (usually ranked #4 or #5) has a median LSAT score of 172.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

It looks you are asking about going to a Tier 3/4 school with a 149. Unless you had a 4.0 with undergraduate degree it is unlikely you will get into a quality law school with a 149. In fact, it is much more likely for you to get admitted to a predatory school. I would highly recommend you check out this link which is an article just published about the reality of crushing debt and not being able to pay it off: https://www.wsj.com/articles/law-school-student-debt-low-salaries-university-miami-11627991855
    I would also recommend that check: https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/ and look at the job outcomes, debt and types of opportunities you may have with schools you might be interested in. Having a Masters Degree shows you have the capability but sadly matters very little in the admissions process.
    I also work full time, as well as part time and am a single Mom. It took me a long time but I dramatically increased my LSAT score. It can be done and it is worth it.

• Kimo_GandallKimo_Gandall Free Trial Member
    12 karma

To be honest, you should retake the LSAT and aim for a mid-160s score, at least. Even if you managed to get into a school, you would be paying a small fortune.

• JusticeLawJusticeLaw Member
    194 karma

Thanks for asking the question. I'm in the same boat.

My undergraduate gpa was slightly below a 3.0. However, my graduate gpa was significantly above 3.0 and my degrees are in different fields.

I was advised by an admissions rep at my choice law school that I needed a 177 LSAT score. That stressed me out.....!!!!! This is not a top tier law school, but extremely competitive.

So, I'm thinking about choosing a different law school and doing my best on the LSAT.

• vichinskyvichinsky Alum Member
    503 karma

What law school was it if you don't mind me asking. 177 seems excessive unless its T-14.