Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Score

7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
in General 932 karma
Since this is a diverse group of people with different expectations and ideals, I have a simple question. What do you consider a good score and why?

Comments

• NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    It depends what kind of school you want to go to. If your mind is set on a T14, it will depend on your GPA. With a 3.9+ a 165+ should get you into the lower T14, while a 170+ will get you into Penn, NYU, etc..If your GPA is below a 3.8, however, a 169+ is necessary for most schools.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I'm almost ten years removed from a sub 3.0 uGPA so it's 170 or bust for me...ideally in the 171-173 range is where I'd like to be to get me in at the T14 I want, but as @alexandergreene93 said, it mostly depends on the school you're shooting for. Though when you take a long hard look at the employment prospects outside of the T14 then I'm of the mind that you should only attend a school in or near a place you want to practice since the further down the rankings you go, the worse the placement numbers are outside of a given school's region. And if you're paying sticker or close to it you really should not waste your money on anything outside the top 100, if not top 50, since the prospects are relatively dismal.

This may come off as a bit harsh and I don't mean to offend anyone, but while LSAT scores do not indicate much beyond likelihood of 1L success, I really don't understand why people in say the 120-140 range on the actual LSAT still want to become lawyers. If I got a 20 on the MCAT I'd definitely take that as a red flag that maybe I'm not cut out to become a doctor. After going through 7Sage and using the Trainer, as I've said previously, I think a 160 is a very attainable score for someone who studies hard and develops a good understanding of the test. If someone isn't able to do that after 6-12 months or more of the right kind of prep then I think it might be wise to think of alternative career choices since it's not going to suddenly get easier after you take the LSAT. So I'd say 160 is passable, 165 is good, and 170+ is great to amazing.