Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good idea to include that I just started a tech company?

Weird question, but I am in the process of building a startup. I quit my full time job last month and admissions people will obviously notice that when they look at my resume. Should I include my new post as a CEO in the company, or should I leave it out. My concern is that if they see it, they will think I can't commit to law school, which is reasonable. I am on the fence. Any help is appreciated.

The question
  1. Should I include my new job on my resume?20 votes
    1. Yes
      85.00%
    2. No.
      15.00%

Comments

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

It does seem a little odd that you are building a startup-and applying to law school, are you planning on juggling both your startup and law school, or doing part-time law school? If you are worried that this would raise questions, I would encourage you to perhaps somehow write about this in your Personal Statement, to explain why you are applying to law school and why you will be committed. Law School admissions teams really appreciate transparency, so don't try to hide anything.

• mdf1960mdf1960 Free Trial Member
    54 karma

Yes, but you can't go to law school full-time and work a full-time job. I hope you are considering an evening program.

• omerico7omerico7 Member
    94 karma

@"andrew.rsn" @mdf1960 Yeah I am thinking of doing an evening program. What I'm building is going to be contract heavy. So having a law degree would be a huge plus in the long run.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    edited September 2021 831 karma

In that case, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Evening programs were designed for people in similar situations.

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited September 2021 500 karma

I don't think I'm qualified to say whether you should or shouldn't put it on your resume, but one thought I had is that you probably will only want to include it if you've established your business somewhat. I don't know anything about you, so please don't think I'm making any sort of accusation, but I think admissions would look to see that you were actually running a company and not just giving yourself the title CEO while the business is in its infancy/planning stages to make yourself look more impressive or something. As mentioned above, law schools love transparency and I think this could create some shades of grey that may not be 100 per cent beneficial. You could include the work you do on your company in other parts of your application to discuss how it shapes you and what you do.

If you are going part time, I do think it could be less of an issue, since they know people have established jobs and other priorities going on, but for really competitive programmes they may still look and make a judgment about it.

• Waffle23Waffle23 Alum Member
    603 karma

I think you're actually obligated to include it. It may seem somewhat innocuous now, but an omission like that could raise unnecessary C&F questions from down the line. Applying to law school isn't the same as applying to a job, they generally expect you to be transparent and include everything.

Also, when you're filling out your law school applications, they ask you for your start and end dates for each position. A recent end date will be obvious and noticeable. I actually think it's more of a "pro" than a "con" to include it. How many startup CEOs apply to law school every year? It'll make you stand out. Just make sure you explain your story in your personal statement, i.e. how going to law school ties into your plans for running your start up.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, I would encourage you to include your new business and your responsibilities in the law school resume. Launching a start-up successfully requires lots of skills that law school would find extremely attractive. It shows your ambition and entrepreneurial spirit. This could help you stand out in a competitive applicant pool. Good luck!