Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR from Employer

Huimin YHuimin Y Core Member

Hi All,

I know this is a very common discussion, but my employer asked me to write a draft of (my) recommendation letter. He commented that he would add a nice touch to the draft after. While I am positive that he would write me a positive letter (I worked for this employer right after I graduated college and we knew each other for almost three years), I am not sure where to start.

Where would I find good letter of recommendation samples? And what do admission officers look for when they review recommendation letters from employers?

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Comments

• peepoopopeepoopo Member
    edited December 2021 32 karma

Do you have to have a LOR from employers when applying for law schools?

• Huimin YHuimin Y Core Member
    edited December 2021 55 karma

@ingridgao said:
    Do you have to have a LOR from employers when applying for law schools?

Not necessarily. It is recommended that you have recommendation letters from professors.

I am requesting LOR from my employer because I have been in the workforce for quite some time.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

You may find this information to be helpful:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/rec-cheat-sheet/
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-get-the-best-letter-from-your-recommenders/

Here are some things the committee might want to read about:

-does she work well with others, can she cooperate and compromise?
    -does she work well under pressure?
    -is she ambitious and purpose driven?
    -is she capable of thorough and deep analysis?
    -does she take pride in her work product?
    -how does she compare to other employees

An effective LOR is strong, positive, and specific. Good luck!

• I have been in that situation so here are my 2c:
    I would tread lightly. Most top schools like that you waive your right to see a recommendation, because it increases the likelihood of candor. Adcoms will get to know your writing style through your personal statement, diversity and other addenda. If your boss adds a couple of frills, it remains highly likely that the style of the essay is too close to your other writing. That is a suspicion that you do not want to invite.
    I had a boss that I was close with do the same and I just explained that I am giving up access and I just cannot be involved and he respected that.