Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR Employer/Professor

I graduated in the spring of 2015 and decided to go to law school in the past year. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 168 LSAT on the June test but I'm having a lot of issues with LORs. I can get two awesome LORs from a current and past supervisor but I know I should try to get one from a professor. My top pick is Georgetown right now and I'm wondering if it will look bad to only have employer LORs. I reached out to three of my professors and none have responded to my emails! I live in a different state than where I went to school so it's not really an option to see them in person. What should I do? Are the employer LORs enough?

Comments

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

Honestly, keep bugging the professors. Each semester just started and most professors are just not catching up with their emails. I think an email a week isn't a bad idea. Also reach out to more professors! Pick professors you have A's in.

• Kathp472Kathp472 Alum Member
    49 karma

do you think that's a good idea to reach out to professors that you haven't kept in touch with or spoken to since sophomore year?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@KristyP456 said:
    I graduated in the spring of 2015 and decided to go to law school in the past year. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 168 LSAT on the June test but I'm having a lot of issues with LORs. I can get two awesome LORs from a current and past supervisor but I know I should try to get one from a professor. My top pick is Georgetown right now and I'm wondering if it will look bad to only have employer LORs. I reached out to three of my professors and none have responded to my emails! I live in a different state than where I went to school so it's not really an option to see them in person. What should I do? Are the employer LORs enough?

If you've only been out of UG for a couple of years, do your best to secure 2 LORs from professors. I'm not sure how bad it will look but I would imagine that it will raise some red flags. It will probably be annoying but it's worth it to get academic LORs.

You may want to try to contact profs via phone. Many universities list the profs office phone #s and office hours. Try calling their number while they have office hours and they are more likely to answer.

Good luck!

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

At least one from a professor is good. In my experience most professors will do it if you got an A in their class. Nowadays they'll ask you to fill in the blanks and they'll write the letter accordingly. It's also not a bad idea to visit during office hours if you're not too far away. In all honesty asking is not such a hard thing to do.

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    edited September 2017 298 karma

I have to find a professor from 1994, so it could be worse ;) I have two I can reach out to; whether they will remember me well enough to feel comfortable writing a recommendation 23 years later is another story :/