Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Canadian applicants to US law schools at a disadvantage?

The LSN and 7Sage data suggest international applicants are at a disadvantage. The 7Sage Predictor suggests a 15% lower chance of admission.

Does this apply to Canadian applicants as well?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

I’ve heard numerous accounts from foreign applicants saying their undergrad GPA wasn’t easily converted to an LSAC GPA or that LSAC couldn’t give them a numerical GPA, possibly hurting their chances. Aside from that, I haven’t heard of foreign applicants being at a disadvantage but I’m interested to hear if it’s true.

• Tajira McCoyTajira McCoy Member Administrator Admissions Consultant
    709 karma

Hi @yangandrewjh, thank you so much for your question! Former law school admissions officer here, and I would say that, of international applicants, Canadian applicants are considered most similar to those within the United States--given the similarity in grading scales and rubrics, the ease of transcript review, and the frequency with which we have students attend universities between our two countries. I would not consider Canadian applicants to be at a disadvantage. For any international student, it can be extremely helpful to address the question of why they are applying specifically to schools within the States, as for some AOs, likelihood of attendance can factor into decision-making. Best of luck to you! -Tajira