Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA questions

alec.jamesalec.james Member
in General 4 karma
junior in college here. What do people think is the lowest GPA you should have to even consider applying to law schools?

Comments

• mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    Depends on the law school and their score/LSAT score ratio.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 8021 karma
    I know of a non-URM with strong softs that got into the T14 with a 2.5 GPA and a low 99th percentile LSAT. It definitely depends on your goals though. There are plenty of terrible law schools that will take your money with almost any combination of terrible number, but that doesn't mean those are worth attending. If you are serious about it you should bust your ass now to save yourself a lot of headaches later. And remember, any college credit you get before you actually graduate will count towards your LSAC GPA.
  • Cristal NCristal N Alum Member
    14 karma
    @Pacifico I'll be entering my final year of undergrad this fall, I was pursuing a pre-pharmacy concentration.. Bad idea, because it made my GPA completely plummet. If all goes well I will graduate with a 3.12, not the least bit impressive. I know I've got to do exceptionally well on the LSAT, so I am going to "shoot for the stars". My question: what do you think my chances are of getting into a decent school? Do you know if coursework is a factor in admission decisions?
    8021 karma
    Nothing is as big a factor as your LSAT. Coursework is at best a weak to middling soft. If I were you I'd do my best to stay above a 3.0 because that is a magic number for several schools (Chicago, Berkeley) even though they would never admit it publicly. I have a sub 3.0 GPA but I'm still shooting for a T14, though I'll need a 98th or 99th percentile LSAT to get there. But I'm fine with going to either of my safeties (as I think everyone should be) so as long as I can snag one of those I will be happy.

If I were you I'd start studying now, and plan for June 2016 LSAT. I would take a year off to get some work experience and have time to formulate those apps and make sure you get the right score. A strong LSAT will help a lot of schools forget a weak GPA, especially if medians continue to fall. And taking some time to build up some more strong softs will also help you out together a better application.

With a strong enough LSAT you could swing GU or NU, maybe even UVA. Of course, if you've got a particular region in mind to practice in then it's always worth it to check out some regionals there.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    yeah, as stated the LSAT is the biggest factor. it also depends on your goals. If you want a high pay job and big law then you are going to need to crush the LSAT with a lower GPA (or well either way) but with goals more targeted to just passing the bar to work at some small firm or something then you can work with a lower ranked school and try and get away with little dept. So it is hard to say in a general sense but just do whatever you can to bring your GPA up and then work your butt off for the LSAT and you can have a chance at not just LS but some really good ones too
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    To get a visual idea of what your school choices expect, you can always search their student profile. You should find a grid that crosses GPA with LSAT scores then shows you how many applications and actual admission the school awarded to each GPA range. I know that for my schools here in Houston I've really got to get upwards of a 165 no matter what since my GPA is 3.2.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Kill it on the LSAT and your chances will increase. This exam is a second opportunity for everyone who did not perform as well in their undergrad.
    8021 karma
    The LSAT: A gift to slackers everywhere
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Ha! =)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but what would you guys say about someone who has a really high GPA, like 3.9-4.0? Can that compensate for a lower LSAT score? For example, if someone gets a 165 and has a 4.0 GPA, can that get him into a T-10 school?
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    someone with a 3.9+ and a 165 can get into a T-14, although it might not be a top 10. Probably GTown, Cornell, etc.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    4.0 + 165 will probably get you into some Top 10s, but I don't know if you'l break into the Top 6. Those schools (YHS, CCN) tend to love traditional splitters and tend to seek out 170+ LSAT.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    it depends on the school... some T14 are pretty generous to reverse splitters, can't think off the top of my head which ones though
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @jdawg113
    UVA
    Berkeley
    Georgetown
    Michigan
    Cornell (although those numbers for Cornell are not considered a reverse splitter)
    NYU has taken 100% of people with a 4.00 and a 167, FWIW.
    Chicago has taken many applicants who had a 4.00 and a 168.
    Columbia typically requires a 4.00 applicant to have a 170 to even be in the running (barring URM status, of course).
    8021 karma
    If you have a uGPA that high and you have only taken the LSAT once or twice, you really should retake because even if you can get in to some top 10s, you are leaving a lot of scholarship money on the table. If I had a 4.0 uGPA and had only taken the LSAT once, I would retake in October and December just to raise my leverage for scholarship negotiations. With a GPA like that, you shouldn't be talking about chances at a particular school, you should be talking about how much money those schools are going to throw your way.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    If I had a 4.0 uGPA and had only taken the LSAT once, I would retake in October and December just to raise my leverage for scholarship negotiations. With a GPA like that, you shouldn't be talking about chances at a particular school, you should be talking about how much money those schools are going to throw your way.
    Why sell yourself short on a great GPA by taking your foot off the gas, LSAT-wise? You maxed out your grades, now why wouldn't you max out your LSAT—which can potentially have tremendous impact on the amount of aid you receive?

I think the choice is very, very clear.
  • logicfiendlogicfiend Alum Member
    118 karma
    Just an added note. Know of at least one person who was admitted to Columbia this past cycle with around a 3.5 but a 170+ LSAT, non-URM.

A high LSAT in general will take you a lot farther than a high GPA/low LSAT.
    8021 karma
    Absolutely... splitters>reverse splitters in almost every case.
    7965 karma
    @logicfiend said:
    A high LSAT in general will take you a lot farther than a high GPA/low LSAT.
    Exactly!