Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headache while taking the LSAT

AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
in General 2424 karma
So I just took my first PT after 1 1/2 years of hiatus and was quickly reminded of a problem I've always had with this test...

As I'm taking it, I always feel a strong headache in the back of my head. I'm sure it's because of the position my head is constantly at (looking downwards to the test). Maybe that position does not allow proper blood flow to the back of my head? Not quite sure...

My question is (I assume many of you have experienced the same thing): What do you do to fight, control, or prevent this annoying headache you get when taking the LSAT?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    How's your posture? Normally and while sitting, that can make a huge difference.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    I stand in a pretty normal, upright posture and have my head held high most of the time (to my knowledge). I think I'm a bit more curved and always look downwards as I'm taking the LSAT.

What do you recommend?
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Practice taking more PTs until the headache no longer exists?
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    well maybe thats the problem... you should be sitting, not standing while taking PTs :P

jk but that is interesting, don't think Ive heard of something like this before. Are you a big reader at all/does the same feeling occur if you were to sit down and read a book?
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Have you had a recent eye exam? Could be eye strain.
    8021 karma
    Although you won't be taking the LSAT standing up on test day, I would actually recommend taking one standing up since sitting is generally terrible for you. If it goes away, then it's likely a posture/back/neck issue.

If it's still there then I would follow the advice of @brna0714 and get an eye exam (preferably one where they dilate your eyes) to see if there are any issues there. As I wrote in another thread I recently found out I have astigmatism and need glasses and now having an understanding of that is pointing out to me when my eyes are straining. If I didn't get it fixed I would definitely end up with worsening health effects.
    2424 karma
    Thanks all! While it preoccupies me that what I'm experiencing is not normal, all your advice is of great help. I do need lenses and when I took the exam I wasn't wearing them but I do remember this being a recurring issue. Every time I take a long test this happens. I do love to read but this never happens when I read a book. I think that's because I'm more relaxed and can read in different postures, hold the book in the air, read while in bed, etc.

Next time I take the test I'll have my lenses for sure and let you know what happens!
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 3658 karma
    There maybe some correlation with how much intensity (focus) and stress you may be exerting during PT time. I've been guilty of that as well. Sounds silly, but I would try incorporating meditation into your daily routine. I had a thread on this subject before:

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/1783/meditation-seriously-do-it
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 1294 karma
    Hey man, this usually happens to me once in a while. I"m really tall, so staring down at my paper with my neck can cause discomfort. Sometimes I get pulsating headaches from how my neck is positioned, with the pain starting in the lower back of my head and working its way up, and the pain won't go away until I pump some tylenol extra strength into my system lol.
    edited July 2015 2424 karma
    @ENTJ thanks I will try that! @Matt1234567 your description of the pain is exactly what I feel and I'm relatively tall as well. What do you mean by pumping tylenol...as you are taking the test?
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Try sitting at a higher desk with a lower chair to even out the imbalance. See if that helps!
    1294 karma

@alejoroarios said:
    . What do you mean by pumping tylenol...as you are taking the test?
    During the break I usually take one extra strength tablet just to ease the pain. It usually goes away 10-20 minutes after I take a tablet.
    Better posture and not letting my neck stray off too low has helped.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I'm not the only one! I had the worst headache during my June LSAT. I'm not using it as an excuse but I'm sure it affected my performance a bit.
    1294 karma
    @visualcreed said:
    I'm not using it as an excuse but I'm sure it affected my performance a bit.
    Trying to do the LSAT is one thing, trying to do it with a pulsating headache is another ball game lol.
    8021 karma
    Also, how active are you generally? Maybe try something like yoga to kill two birds with one stone (get some meditation and physical exertion at the same time).
  • 24 karma
    I don't know if this is too left field but many say headaches are caused by dehydration. So I would suggest getting an ample amount sleep and and drinking lot of water to stay hydrated during the exam! Ever since I found that out...I always question how much water I've had during the day when I get a headache (which is always very little lol). If anything...maybe during the timed break you can go and get slips of water from a water fountain and see if this is the reason behind it! Good luck! :D
    8021 karma
    Overhydrate and wear a diaper... problem solved ;)
  • LoraxManLoraxMan Alum Member
    180 karma
    @alejoroarios said:
    I always feel a strong headache in the back of my head.
    I get this too - I think it's from posture and it feels the weirdest for me when I stand back up after taking the test.

Sometimes I stretch during my breaks, but generally havent found that trying to be intentional about posture helps much
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I say ... Go see a good chiropractor who does functional medicine!!!