Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving LR

So, I'm having a hard time with LR averaging -5 through -10 every section even after BR. My main problem is that the question types that I'm getting wrong seem to be scattered all over the place. It's not just like weakening and assumptions, for example, but rather a little bit of everything that I'm getting wrong. So now I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I just continue drilling LR sections for practice or should I take a step back and continue learning about the fundamentals of all LR questions before more drills? (Currently reading The Loophole in LR & PowerScore LR Bible but not finished with either).

Comments

• yk123456yk123456 Member
    17 karma

Following!

• 175 karma

Hi there. My first bit of advice would be to know what score you're chasing and whether say around -8 on LR is compatible with your goal score. Given that your posting here I'm going to presume that it isn't. Since you're making ~7 errors in a section post BR, to my mind, that indicates a level of misunderstanding that needs to be redressed at the more fundamental level. If I were in your position, as I once was in fact, I would be asking myself what concepts, rather than question types per se, do I feel unsure about. E.g. Are you confident and fluent in conditional logic when it starts to get messy via verbose language and syntax? Are you confident in identifying and distinguishing a premise from an intermediate premise and either of those from a main conclusion in any given argument? Do you perceive the unity within the logical reasoning framework? etc. If your answer is no to any of those questions, or any question similar, then I would recommend attempting to hone those skills through your resource of choice. So in my view, it would be worthwhile to get back to the basics before doing more timed stuff atm.

• Aastha SAastha S Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    414 karma

Hey! The biggest piece of advice I would give in a situation like this is to see if the difficulty level of the questions that you're missing are all the same. Even if the question types are all different, maybe you're only missing the most difficult questions. Alternatively, maybe you're over thinking the easier questions and missing those. If you're able to figure out what group of difficulty level your mistakes are coming from, it's a lot easier to target that issue.

Another thing to consider is whether you are flagging and skipping questions efficiently. I would recommend doing an untimed section and see if you can accurately assess the level of confidence that you have with each question. Are you overconfident in questions that you missed? Are you underconfident in questions that you get right? If there's a discrepancy between those two things, that's a lot easier to target than trying to figure out what the issue with question types are.

Sometimes it's difficult to figure out what the root of your mistakes are in a section like this. If you want an outside perspective on your analytics, feel free to schedule a consultation with one of the tutors here at 7Sage! https://calendly.com/7sage-consult/7sage-tutoring-free-consult?utm_source=DF_A

I hope this was helpful and I wish you the best of luck in the rest of your studying!