Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling discouraged- got -23 on logical reasoning

sophiacastrosophiacastro Alum Member
in General 81 karma

So I just finished the logical reasoning curriculum and decided to do just the times logical reasoning sections of a practice test. Just got -23 which is no where near where I want to be and I am not even sure where to go from here.

Comments

• MEHCAM190MEHCAM190 Live Member
    105 karma

I feel the exact same way any tips would help.

• ProfLaytonProfLayton Member
    110 karma

-23 is definitely a concern, especially if you are getting this after doing the LR curriculum. Ask yourself the following:

1. Did you actually sit down and practice? Or did you skip through lessons without seeing if you understood what was being explained?

2. How are you responding to choosing the wrong answer on the practice sets? Are you watching the videos to see where you messed up, or did you simply move on?

3. Have you been BR'ing (and doing so properly)?

4. What problems have you been struggling with the most?

5. Are you practicing the tests under actual test conditions (i.e timed)?

If you just started doing practice tests, 23 is concerning, but I wouldn't fret too much. It just means you'd need more time. If it's been a decent amount of time, you will need to seriously reflect on your study habits and figure out what is going on, because getting -23 on LR essentially caps you out at around 154 I believe assuming you get no other questions wrong for RC/LG.

Concerning those two, how are you doing on them? If you're struggling tremendously with all three, I would look into a tutor if you need guidance on effective ways to study and learn

• Ed_wa_rdEd_wa_rd Member
    edited September 2022 22 karma

Hi there,

It's okay not to get the perfect score right away. As you continue to practice, you will see improvements. On where to go from here, I recommend starting with the section you completed. Review each question and your answer, and think about why you chose a specific answer, why the others are wrong, and why the correct answer is right. Come up with a study schedule and review the core curriculum while drilling to reinforce concepts. As alway blind review, it make a huge difference.

Lastly, maintain a positive attitude toward the outcome you want. Somedays, you might not perform 100%, but as you continue to work towards your go, you will inch closer to your designation.

• baparacha-1baparacha-1 Member
    113 karma

Another thing you can do which I am doing right now in terms of getting ready to pt is drilling. What happens sometimes is that when one does the pt it drains them just due to the shear amount of it. What you can do is that in the same section that has pt’s there is an option to drill. What I do is start with 10 in a section (for you LR is a recommendation) at 40% chance at getting them correct and at random so you get a good set of problems. Work through them and see how you do. What this does is that it gives you less to work with and it lets you focus on LR. You can also blind review with this and see each of the individual questions and answers as they would appear if you were doing it as a pt. This way you’d also see if it’s just a specific question type you are missing and what you also need to focus on. You can adjust these drills to your preferences, and what I said is just a starting point but it is a good way to hold your confidence into taking another pt and also working on you LR skills.

• alexemorales-1alexemorales-1 Core Member
    22 karma

If timing was an issue, I recommend doing untimed LR sections until you're comfortable. If timing wasn't an issue, you may have been moving too quickly and I still suggest doing untimed sections. And remember, ALWAYS review the questions you get wrong. That's where you will improve. Good luck and don't feel discouraged, this test is hard as hell and it's a battle of discipline. Use that bad section as motivation. You got it.