Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coffee or Tea?

165LSATDUDE165LSATDUDE Live Member
edited October 2022 in General 76 karma

Hello everyone! Ok so I enjoy drinking coffee however I noticed I crash hard when I'm coming down later in the day. I've tired drinking matcha tea however it's not as strong as coffee and I'm not able to focus as much. The problems I'm having with coffee is I believe it affects my sleep. I drink literally one cup at 9am and for some reason my mind is constantly racing. at night. In other words I'm not getting REM sleep. Does anyone else have problems with caffeine? I'm considering just quitting coffee cold turkey and only drinking matcha from now on. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!?

Comments

• CJ_DJ_JPCJ_DJ_JP Yearly Member
    24 karma

Hey there. Fellow coffee drinker. Try reducing the amount of caffeine you ingest to see if it has any affect on your sleep by the time night comes around. Find the perfect dosage to allow you to comfortably rest by night. Consider if you are going through your stressful thoughts at night time. Your bedroom should be a cool, quiet, and dark place for you to rest. When you go to sleep, don't think about anything stressful. Distract your mind with something pleasant.

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    303 karma

mix coffee matcha and tea

• Cheng Shi-1Cheng Shi-1 Member
    48 karma

I agree that you should try to reduce the amount of caffine you ingest; Without coffee...yeah it feels hard to focus, so one way I would suggest is you go one or two days completely without coffee and then slowly increase the amount you drink. Anyway, sleeping pills are always an option, don't rule them out if you absolutely need rest(after a day of coffee-induced focus)

• LawhLuverLawhLuver Core Member
    10 karma

Coffee during the day and green tea at night. :blush:

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

I have strong coffee in the mornings, decaf in the afternoons and tea at night to pacify the mind. Otherwise, I also have trouble sleeping. Try decaf or maybe just switching over to tea.

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    303 karma

Can we please stop with these pointless posts? lol talk to your effing mom abut it - ___--

• 165LSATDUDE165LSATDUDE Live Member
    76 karma

@Juan23vr said:
    Can we please stop with these pointless posts? lol talk to your effing mom abut it - ___--

Lol can I talk to your mom about it? She might have some good suggesting's Juan.

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    810 karma

@Juan23vr said:

What is your problem? People can post what they want, not everyone needs to consult with Juan23vr to determine if the post is worthy enough

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

You're doing it wrong. When you feel you're about to start crashing, you've got to escalate. If you start with one cup at 9am and then crash at, say, 3pm. Have two cups at around 2:30, thus preventing the crash. Now, the next crash will probably come a little faster than the first, so you'll want to have some iced coffee on hand and ready to go so you don't have to wait on the next round to brew. So, probably at around 7pm, you'll want to have about three cups of iced coffee. Just remember the ice takes up half the volume of the cup, so that's really six cups if you're using ice. And so forth and so on.

In all seriousness though, getting good sleep was a big part of my study routine. I tried reducing my morning coffee but had the same problem you did. Also, I just love starting my day with coffee and didn't want to cut it. What I found was that inconsistent sleep and wake times was the real culprit. This obviously won't be true for everyone, but it sure worked for me. I woke up at 5am bright-eyed and bushy tailed. And at 10pm I had better be in bed because I'm going to be asleep within the next 15 minutes. I just forced myself to actually get up when my alarm went off, and forced myself into bed, tired or not, when it was time. It was a struggle at first, but within a couple weeks I was fully in-tune. I'm normally something of an insomniac, but not while I was studying LSAT. That was the only time in my life I haven't struggled with sleep.

• grugthesluggrugtheslug Member
    107 karma

There is another...

• joshuazyt11joshuazyt11 Alum Member
    edited October 2022 78 karma

Treating this like a LR question, I suspect there's some flawed causal inference going on here :wink: I think the half life of caffeine is supposed to be 4 hours, which means as long as you are not taking in any caffeine 8 hours before bed, your system should be cleared from any caffeine during sleep. It might be that you are not rested from sleep to begin with and you use coffee to keep yourself awake during the day. So you probably need to figure out what's in your habits that is actually disruptive to your sleep.

Although I'm a habitual coffee drinker, green tea is actually awesome for studying. It has both caffeine and L-Theanine which taken together gives you a focused and calm state. That's the place you want to be to tackle this one hell of a test.