Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you guys not freak out during timed conditions?

_--Aujlaw--__--Aujlaw--_ Core Member
in General 155 karma

There have been times in the past when I was doing a PT and I focused too much on the time remaining, causing myself to psych myself out. After that, I basically bombed the entire exam because I stressed myself out so much that I couldn't focus on the questions I was reading.
Have you guys experienced this, and do you have any tips for me?

Comments

• james.marmadukejames.marmaduke Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    21 karma

Hi there! This is a really good question. I experienced basically the same thing. I would start taking PTs without the timer visible to you. You should still have it going, but not within your field of vision. Rather, I would set a timer that goes off every 5 minutes (for example). That way you still have something to give you some markers to keep you on track while to practice, but it is not the visible clock that can be so disruptive. As you get used to working with the timer, you can slowly start adding the actual, visible clock back in. I would start by making it visible only on the most low stress of the questions (say LR 1-5) and then slowly build up your confidence and endurance from there.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything!

• jamesmassejamesmasse Alum Member
    22 karma

The stress comes from somewhere. For me, it comes from lack of my own confidence. The more time I spend, even just logging in....the more confidence I feel. And honestly it's a practice test. Don't sweat it.

I did a PT, got tired and just spammed the RC. Not the best method, but it was all I could manage that evening. Showing up is half the battle. Just keep progressing. I find even when I feel I do not learn anything, the next week I intuitively recognize question types, where the conclusion may be, the premises, etc.

GL.

• MTreigysMTreigys Core Member
    108 karma

I would just try to accept the fact that you're not gonna get every question right 99% of the time, and know that you don't necessarily have to be perfect in every time management aspect, as you can't really know what the ideal time for each question is. Just go as you should, doing what you find quicker to solve, and skipping and going back to more mentally challenging questions later.

• _--Aujlaw--__--Aujlaw--_ Core Member
    155 karma

@"james.marmaduke" said:
    Hi there! This is a really good question. I experienced basically the same thing. I would start taking PTs without the timer visible to you. You should still have it going, but not within your field of vision. Rather, I would set a timer that goes off every 5 minutes (for example). That way you still have something to give you some markers to keep you on track while to practice, but it is not the visible clock that can be so disruptive. As you get used to working with the timer, you can slowly start adding the actual, visible clock back in. I would start by making it visible only on the most low stress of the questions (say LR 1-5) and then slowly build up your confidence and endurance from there.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything!

Thank you so much for your response, James!!
    I will definitely try that for my next PT!!

155 karma

@jamesmas said:
    The stress comes from somewhere. For me, it comes from lack of my own confidence. The more time I spend, even just logging in....the more confidence I feel. And honestly it's a practice test. Don't sweat it.

I did a PT, got tired and just spammed the RC. Not the best method, but it was all I could manage that evening. Showing up is half the battle. Just keep progressing. I find even when I feel I do not learn anything, the next week I intuitively recognize question types, where the conclusion may be, the premises, etc.

GL.

Hi James,

Thank you so much. I agree. I think it's a matter of confidence as well, as well as the pressure to do better each time.

155 karma

@MTreigys said:
    I would just try to accept the fact that you're not gonna get every question right 99% of the time, and know that you don't necessarily have to be perfect in every time management aspect, as you can't really know what the ideal time for each question is. Just go as you should, doing what you find quicker to solve, and skipping and going back to more mentally challenging questions later.

Very true. Thank you so much!!

155 karma

Guys when I first made this post, I just finished a PT and totally bombed it because I thought too hard about the time and pressure involved with this test and so I totally psyched myself out. My score was about 5 points below my normal score.
    The next day, I decided to do another PT just because I didn't want to go a whole week thinking that my skills have gotten worse. Before taking the test, I did some read aloud meditations I found online and they definitely helped me!!! I'd recommend this to anyone who's in the same boat as me.

• sazpmdsazpmd Core Member
    7 karma

Can you please post the link to the site where you found the "read aloud meditations"? Would love to see / try them. Thanks :)

• JShepherdJShepherd Core Member
    73 karma

@"--Aujlaw--" said:
    "Before taking the test, I did some read aloud meditations I found online"

Very interested in the specific meditations you found, tried and felt were helpful. Please provide a link, and thanks for sharing this information

155 karma

https://medium.com/@crawsman0228/quick-guided-meditation-read-aloud-releasing-pain-ee6b43cb7141

This is the one that I used, but I also find reading a short story or part of a novel (preferably fiction) to be helpful as it helps ease your mind and keeps you from overthinking.