Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Approach match the flaw/reasoning questions?

gabkidaygabkiday Core Member

i had trouble really explaining why A and B were wrong. Only that E felt the best in matching. And this was after mapping out each answer choice and BR... any idea?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited December 2022 2239 karma

Which question are you referring to?

Regardless of the exact question, though, I can tell you how I usually approach them. If the question relies on formal logic (meaning it uses logical indicators like "if ___ then ___," "unless," "only if," etc.), I'll first try to figure out the logical chain in my head. Doing it in your head is a bit riskier, but if it's a simpler question and you're capable you can save a lot of time. Then I'll do the same for the ACs

If it's a complicated question, I'll map it out. Making sure you have a strong understanding of logical indicators helps with this. After that I go to the ACs and do the same thing, meaning I try to map the ACs in my head and if I can't I'll map them on paper (but I'll try to do it quickly!). A big tip I've heard that can save you a long of time is to check the phrasing of the conclusion. For instance, if the conclusion of the argument in the stimulus is conclusive, meaning it says something like, "therefore, it WILL rain on Friday," you can eliminate ACs that have conclusions that aren't conclusive/don't match (things like "it might..." or "it will probably").

If the question doesn't rely on formal logic (which is increasingly common), I typically try to get a general feel for the flow of the argument under timed pressure. If I feel I grasp it, I'll go to the ACs. If I don't, I'll skip and try to come back later. Parallel questions are just too time consuming to try to do them without being clear about what the argument is. If I have time to return, I'll typically try to map it out in a way that makes sense to me, even if it doesn't really fit typical logical mapping.

I hope this helps some!

• The2ndSageThe2ndSage Member
    64 karma

Echoing everything Matt said and just want to add that something that has helped me when mapping and trying to find the parallel AC is to map the stimulus using the general A, B and C ("if A, then B") rather than making the mapping particular to the stimulus. This makes it easier when you are trying to find an AC because you can just plug the AC's into your A/B/C map.