Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burnout, depression, or test anxiety?

markmywordsmarkmywords Alum Member
in General 292 karma

I can't study. I'm not ready for the Jan lsat and the last few weeks I just cannot study. I thought, 'oh I guess this is what burnout looks like?' But after researching a bit, it doesn't sound like burnout?
I lost my dad to suicide last year and it was a really wild ride leading up to his death... he was on the run from the FBI, then incarcerated. It was a really stressful time for me because I knew he wasn't mentally well and I knew things were going to end badly. I literally begged anyone I could think of--the judge, his pre-trial officer, parole officer, his lawyer, the prosecution, anyone, to get him mental health help. The way things ended was worst case scenario and I'm still processing it all.
And my husband recently lost his job. I don't work so that's obviously super stressful. So much is riding on the lsat for me personally. I left a high-demand religion after being extremely devout my entire life. I'm trying to carve out my own life and identity outside the religion, but it's been such an uphill battle.
Anyway, this isn't meant to be a sob story, but looking for advice. I probably shouldn't apply this cycle? I am scoring in the 150's on PT's but my goal is much higher. I want to reach my score potential. But I also have to balance the reality of needing to get going with law school. I'm older and I need to start my career sooner rather than later.
-Should I even take the Jan lsat?
I've never had depression until after my dad died, and then it was very intense. But I'm in therapy and feeling so much better and have been doing well with studying consistently. I'm puzzled by the study paralysis because I know I don't have to take the Jan lsat--I don't feel like I'm over pressuring myself and feel like I'm good at being gentle with myself and accepting I can't study and doing things I enjoy or want to get done instead.

Any general tips, words of encouragement, or insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• luffyyyyluffyyyy Alum Member
    698 karma

I am really sorry to hear what you are going through right now, it must be a very difficult time for you and your family. If you know you are not ready for the Jan LSAT, I would recommend that you delay it until you are ready for the test. I had to delay another cycle because I am not ready for the LSAT. It was a hard decision, but I just don't want to rush it again. With so much going on in your life right now, I would take a break, and I genuinely think you need a break. Burn out happens to everyone and sometimes we just need to step away from the test to clear our mind a bit.

I hope this helps a bit, and I wish you the best in your studies !

• rdyoung12rdyoung12 Alum Member
    306 karma

I'm not qualified to advise you because I am also scoring in the 150s and also IDK about depression. But perhaps just try shooting for 1 logic game a day. Perhaps push it back a year but keep in mind there's a rumor they will drastically revise the logic games section starting in June 2024. Since you recognized that you might be burnt out, that can be seen as a huge advantage, so you can address the burnout. IMO - LSAT is the most difficult thing I've ever done. Recognizing that helps me continue to be beat up by it. Hope something I've said can help you!