Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Templates out there for LOR

profile427profile427 Alum Member
in General 213 karma
Hi All,

Do you have any recs on what templates from the interwebs are great for giving to professional colleagues who are happy to write a letter of recommendation? And for that matter, for professors in general? Or is it better to just give them a short diddy of why you're awesome and why you want to go to law school (and become a lawyer) and trust that they'll figure it out themselves?

Thanks

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I would avoid encouraging or offering the use of templates to a recommended as it makes for a more pedestrian recommendation. Any professor should be at least somewhat well versed in writing an LOr, as should any professional. I would not ask someone for a recommendation if they did not appear to know how to write one. Honestly I am very sensitive to red flags when I request an LOR. If someone doesn't respond with enthusiasm when I bring up the subject then I start to doubt how excellent their LOR will be. Sometimes I just never follow up and officially ask such people, others I ask in order to have an extra LOR in my back pocket.

Furthermore these people should already know why you're awesome and that's why you're asking them, because they can write an excellent LOR about you. Rather than bombarding them with a bunch of stuff up front I usually provide them with a list of things I could send them if they felt they needed it (e.g.-transcripts, samples of class work or essays, awards, etc) but if you have chosen correctly they should never require anything.

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up on here or PM me if you want a sample of how I request LORs.