Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much should I expect to improve?

CornluvrCornluvr Alum Member
edited July 2023 in September 2023 LSAT 17 karma

I am about midway through logic games now and am hoping to finish the curriculum before August 1. I have no idea what to expect in terms of improvement. I am not a strong test taker and got a 151 on my diagnostic. I have been pretty serious about studying this summer and feel like I am grasping a lot of the material, and I am scheduled to take the test in September. I don't want to get my hopes up for my first practice test and expect some large jump in my score if that's unlikely. What experience have you all had in terms of your diagnostic score in comparison to the scores you got after completing the curriculum?

Comments

• CornluvrCornluvr Alum Member
    edited July 2023 17 karma

I know everyone is different though!!

• MTreigysMTreigys Core Member
    108 karma

When I first finished the cc properly (I took a PT or two without looking at RC, big mistake lol) I went from a diagnostic of 148 (though this should have been a bit lower since I practiced LG a bit before this) to 162, with my peak being at 169 on PT 47 some PTs later. My BR high score is 174 over a few of my PTs.

• hank2023hank2023 Alum Member
    62 karma

I think it depends on your comfort level within each section. Logic games is usually said to be the easiest to improve in, which I think is accurate. Completing the 7Sage logic games curriculum, really engaging with it, and foolproofing games can get you to score consistently at -1/-2 or better on most logic games sections.

On the other hand, reading comprehension is usually said to be hardest to improve in, and the amount you can improve varies between people.

Logical reasoning is a little bit in the middle, but I'd say its probably closer to logic games than reading comprehension in that you can improve a lot once you develop your approach a little more.

I think the best mindset is not to expect a certain score increase, but to be honest with yourself about whether or not you are learning to understand the test better. After doing the curriculum and practicing, do you feel more confident that you know what you're doing? Can you identify areas where you could improve? Thinking about that can help you identify what your personal room for improvement is.

• This LSAT will be my second. I actually started off with a totally different study book/materials, and then added in 7sages BR method on top of that when I was plateauing. (And now I'm here, adding more tools to my arsenal!) I finished my other curriculum about a 6 weeks before my LSAT, too.

In 6 weeks I made an improvement on my score by just drilling the test and individual sections. You have to practice to time so you can get a feel for what 35 minutes a section feels like. Make yourself a study schedule and stick to it. For example, mine was a graduated study schedule.

6 Weeks to LSAT: Review weak material; a minimum of 2 timed LR, LG, and RC sections this week
    5 Weeks to LSAT: Review; a minimum 2 timed LR, LG, and RC sections, 1 preptest
    4 Weeks to LSAT: Review; Assess timing issues and focus on specific section with the most timing issues; 2 preptests

By week three I was taking a minimum 2 preptests per week. The week of the test you should cut yourself slack. Try not to study too intensely and psych yourself out.

The graduated schedule helped me so much with timing. Timing is what messed me up 90% of the time, the other 10% are the more difficult questions I’m attempting to master.

Really make sure to be in tune with your strengths and weaknesses on the test. Be honest with yourself. And NEVER skip blind review; force yourself to engage with your own reasoning!