Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Declining Scores.

SlowDownSlowDown Alum Member
edited July 2023 in August 2023 LSAT 84 karma

Hello everyone,

2.5ish weeks ago I had been scoring high 160s and was ecstatic to finally break into the 170s on PT77, but then my scores for the next four PTs were were back to where they were before. Today, I just finished PT82 with my lowest score in weeks.

With the August test weeks away I had been optimistic, but have no idea what to do now. Maybe I'm burnt out (been doing 2 PTs/week recently), but it seems too late for a break. All tips/advice/encouragement are welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• greyzeldagreyzelda Live Member
    15 karma

when did you start studying?

• SlowDownSlowDown Alum Member
    84 karma

@greyzelda off/on in 2022, then consistently beginning in February

• egunnegunn Core Member
    24 karma

I am in the EXACT same boat. This August test is my last shot too. I went from getting my first score in the 170s after breaking out of the upper 160s to back down to 164. I was feeling so down on myself but needed to remember that being kind of inconsistent after a lot of studying and pressure is normal. I think you are probably experiencing nerves and exhaustion. Don't get discouraged! This test is so much about not getting in your head. If you are scoring in the high 160s and had consistency at some point, you clearly know what you are doing. Don't let a few tests convince you otherwise!

• egunnegunn Core Member
    24 karma

Also -- remember that some tests are easier than others!

• SlowDownSlowDown Alum Member
    84 karma

@egunn Thank you. The vote of confidence really means a lot, and I'll send it right back to you. Pressure is the ultimate silent killer, but I'm confident you'll be able to focus on the test. Sticking to your guns and not changing your approach in the face of a funky question, game, or even the fact that you want to make this test count is the best way to finish strong.

• MMMarieMMMMarieM Alum Member
    15 karma

I also think taking a day or two off may be really beneficial! I was studying everyday for months and by the end I was getting easy questions wrong. I took three full days off and when i came back i was extremely focused and doing the best I have. I too was stressed to take a break as I am writing in August, but it is what I needed! Your brain needs to rest and repair.

• sonamsjsonamsj Core Member
    27 karma

I'm in the exact same place!!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

PTs present overlapping but different task ranges. Among other variables, you can just draw a "bad" PT (for you). Progress isn't linear. In fact, if someone purports to have consistent long-term score increases with no regression, they are full of shit.

Besides... you want to get things wrong. While there will always be an element of validation (or lack thereof) in a PT score, we should actually WANT to see bad scores. Missed questions show you where you need work. They're like a friend telling you they noticed you were weak in a certain area because they don't want you to fuck it up on test day. Unrealistic, but the worst thing that can could happen is that you just randomly miracle yourself into a 180 on every PT. You'd never improve. Take that score dip as an opportunity to get better. It wouldn't have happened if you weren't vulnerable... so fix it.

• lidamagnuslidamagnus Live Member
    10 karma

I too am in the same boat. And I'm unsure on how to fix it.

• rdyoung12rdyoung12 Alum Member
    306 karma

Well there's no way it's a coincidence if we're all feeling it: "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." I'm doing some medium level drills to keep my confidence up as we approach the 12th.