Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Long work hours support group - 7Sage Forum

Long work hours support group

u______uu______u Alum Member
in Study Groups 233 karma

Anyone else working at least 10 hours/day while studying? How are y'all coping?

Comments

• whistlingplantwhistlingplant Live Member
    108 karma

I feel this. Fell off for the hell month that was August hoping for a September resurgance. It's all about building a routine and sticking to it...
    Good luck!

• jbpayne3jbpayne3 Core Member
    8 karma

Taking my Sept/Oct test and I fell off during August too. I'm just here to say you're not alone and it it can be okay with enough time and practice!

• 31 karma

I work a full time job but was doing pretty good at keeping a good studying pace. I really fell off in the last 10 days because I started experiencing some abdominal pain and then wound up catching a cold. I plan to finish the LG today and will bust my ass over this long weekend to get as much of the RC section done as possible, but the problem is I'm taking the LSAT next Sunday, so I haven't really had a chance to go through practice tests. I am also scheduled to take the October LSAT as a backup.

Just wanted to say that I know how much of a pain our situation is since we can't treat studying like it's a full time job like some people are able to. Definitely make sure to mention how much effort you put into studying and working a job on your personal statement, since law schools need to know how much of an effort we're all making.

• ambikavsambikavs Core Member
    23 karma

A bit late but I've been in the same situation! I don't think this works for everybody, and I'll disclose that at first I was not a morning person, but when you work a really demanding job, it feels like the only time you have to yourself is BEFORE the work day begins. I would start my studying a couple of hours before my work day pretty regularly, that way you leave room for when work extends past normal hours and also give yourself the time at the end of the day to completely disconnect. I found this especially useful because I need social interaction in my days so it left time for me to see my friends too during the hours people were normally free. And given you prioritize your sleep quality as well, it allows you to study when you're not already burned out from your work day. I hope this helps! You're definitely not alone and should be proud of yourself by juggling two challenging things at once.

• vanessaleona.fcvanessaleona.fc Live Member
    edited September 2023 61 karma

I feel you! I work as a legal secretary in Biglaw, and sometimes submit my time for 89-95 hours! I got soo burnt out and fatigued the past couple months and fell off my rudimentary study schedule (tried to study at least 1-2 hours after work and all weekend). I also had some health issues during that time + family & friend obligations and it's been so hard to balance wellness and relationships on top of work and studying. I've also now started to feel overwhelmed with having to start thinking of applications and drafting my personal statement, reach out to former profs/employers, etc.

I'm trying to get back in to it and am registered to take the Nov test. My goal now is to do a section after work during the week, and perhaps a full test on the weekend.

I'm also trying to be active and lose weight (my desk job has seen me gain SO MUCH weight in the past couple of years and it has really taken a toll on my self-esteem and mental health)-- so I signed up for OrangeTheory too lol

So my plan is to go to OT before work MWF, do at least 1 section after work during the week, and a full practice test Saturday, blind review Sunday, and repeat. I'm setting my intentions publicly so that I hold myself accountable haha

WE GOT THIS! Once you figure out how to squeeze in an hour here and there and find a schedule that works best for you, I'm sure you'll get back to hitting your stride! I believe in all of you -- just a few more months of sacrifice and we will get through it!