Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stress... Venting

tina.marietina.marie Live Member

I take my test on 11/8 & I find my anxiety consuming. I commented on a fellow 7sager trying to encourage them to not focus on the number. But oof... it's hard. I'm not going to even lie I envy the people who perform relatively well in the 160s range & think their score isn't good enough. I genuinely envy you guys. I also hate saying that. It sucks when you get back into the admissions cycle of anything because comparing yourself to others is detrimental, but that's also the entire point of admissions. I know those who are aiming for higher and also aiming for different schools and their goals may be different than mine, but it still just sucks to think about.

I'm not sure if anyone can relate. I'm really embarrassed about my score, but like I'm also not aiming for an Ivy either lol. Idk I'm sort of venting, but I feel like I don't see many of my middle of the pack people on here. So if you relate please join the discussion.

I'm trying to tell myself it'll be okay, but I put in so much damn work and to some I know they would think my # is terrible. LIKE I LITERALLY HAD A FRIEND CANCEL A SCORE I WISH I COULD GET! Good for them tho, they raised it on their next test, but still.

It's difficult for me to keep my insecurities & doubts in check, especially as someone who struggles to feel confident in my academic abilities. Even though I finished undergrad w Summa, I still sit here wondering and questioning if I schools will want me. It's so nerve-wracking. I just don't want to feel like I'm alone in this.

Comments

• jkb131jkb131 Alum Member
    9 karma

I might be the worst person to answer this as I struggle to feel stress. Here is how I look at it, its a test. Is it a permanent thing? No, you can take it time and time again. Are you learning every time you pick up your pen to take the test? I sure hope so but regardless its an opportunity to improve. Sure there may be schools who require a certain score, but is that school worth your mental health? Is the school you attend going to affect what career you can get? Chances are its just another place to get a piece of paper that says you know what you are doing and it looks the same as every other one.

If you are putting in as much work as you say you are, then you'll do great and achieve everything you put your mind to! It's a number created by people who believe they know what's best for law school and its not always accurate as to how well you will do in the long run.

Overall, you are exceptionally prepared and more than qualified to work to become an attorney so don't stress on this one test. You'll do great and I'll be there suffering beside you in the testing center on 11/8

• vanessaleona.fcvanessaleona.fc Live Member
    54 karma

I feel you, Tina! I am taking the Nov 10 test and I am terrified! I haven't been able to study much either because I work full-time, and my insecurities are mostly from being a non-traditional/older applicant. It's so hard to motivate myself these days -- I keep scoring lower than usual on PTs and running out of time even in my best section (LG)!

We got this though! Just remember -- it's not the end of the world! You can ALWAYS retake it.

I am a legal secretary at BigLaw and my attorneys have told me they took the LSAT 2-4x! Some even admitted to having low GPAs as well, but managed to get in to HLS and Georgetown. I think law schools genuinely look at the big picture and it's not just a numbers game. If all the schools wanted were 4.0 GPAs and 160+ LSATS, they can just automatically accept all those applicants, but we all know that's not the case.

Keep studying, you are so close! YOU GOT THIS!

• simransihra23simransihra23 Core Member
    7 karma

In the same boat and feel like a sinking ship. We got this!

• markmywordsmarkmywords Core Member
    edited November 2023 243 karma

I've had to break down a TON of mental barriers to even study for the lsat. I decided I wanted to go to law school 4 years ago. I ordered some test prep book. Rather than study during the time I had set aside, I'd get on youtube. I was so afraid of facing failure that (subconsciously) I decided it would be easier to not study than to study and face failure. I couldn't even take a diagnostic. Too scared to see what would happen. I slowly gained confidence as I realized the irrational/unhelpful self beliefs I got from my childhood. Over the course of this journey I've learned
    1. keep studying consistently no matter what
    2. no matter what school we end up attending, we all learn the exact same thing
    3. I always remind myself law school is a business. No matter what my score is, someone is gonna let me in somewhere. That takes pressure off!
    4. affirmations are super helpful
    5. stop/start breaks are the single most useful accommodation for test anxiety. they allow me to stop and breathe. I can stop as many times as I need to. it was a game changer for me and I got a score I never thought i was even capable of. Now I'm shooting for even higher! Go me!
    6. done is better than perfect
    You've got this.

• kristengkristeng Core Member
    52 karma

I feel the same and test on the same date as you.... my test anxiety has been eating me alive to the point that it's been difficult to study this week because I'm too in my head. My PTs this week have been my lowest and despite studying consistently and it's hurting my confidence. You're not alone!

• LawBarbie02LawBarbie02 Live Member
    13 karma

You are not alone Tina! I deffiently feel this way as well and seeing people score high 160's on their diagnostic tests is amazing but for most (me included) unrealistic. The most we all can do is study our best and try our hardest! There is so much going on around us all the time that even just finding a bit of study time can be hard , so, the fact that you are studying and trying your best is something to be extremely proud of!! At the end pf the day, though It may feel like it, this test isn't going to be our be all end all. You can always retake it and it's not worth putting yourself under immense amounts of pressure. WE ALL GOT THIS!!!!

• csearen99csearen99 Live Member
    117 karma

I have never related more. I am taking my test on Friday and I’m in the boat w all the “average” scorers and it’s been intimidating and deteriorating to my mental health seeing most people that are “worried” or “complaining” while they are scoring high 160s or above. as someone who is flunctuating in the 150s it’s been so hard to stay motivated or in a good mindset and seeing barely any people who are in a score relatated situation asking for help or giving advice. you are not alone and all those giving advice in this discussion are so helpful. i definitely was in the depression stage for the last 2 weeks seeing myself not improve in a way i deem acceptable. but i had to learn to not put a significantly unattainable goal for myself in the last minute. im luckily at the point where i decided that although november is the test i want as a one and done. january is my backup. putting faith in my confidence and hoping that schools will look at my whole package, if not then i have next year or the next. i’m still fairly young being 10 months out of university. the lsat isn’t just a test it’s a whole thing for me, having to restructure my entire mental thinking and confidence was the biggest struggle. GOOD LUCK to everyone and those struggling w average scores.

• on_the_brinkon_the_brink Alum Member
    49 karma

girl i feel you

• jiwoonyoon.sgjiwoonyoon.sg Core Member
    92 karma

For myself, LSAT scores are my bigger assets than my GPA. But I have mad mad respect for high achievers in school, it's a huge indicator of dedication. We all know that this is a learnable test, and in the end I genuinely believe those who believe in their dedication rather than intelligence are the best performers. You got this, you've done it before! Don't let your inhibitions get to you.