Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Push through when tired or take a break?

daniel__daniel__ Live Member
in General 39 karma

I just started studying for my LSAT and finished 9 to 10 problem sets (MSS in LR). I'm feeling tired and making more mistakes as a result. Most are due to lack of attention to detail. I'd like to push through and finish the lesson, but I also feel like I am wasting my time (and valuable practice questions) if I keep doing practice questions while tired.

Is it better to keep practicing when tired, accepting I will make mistakes, or get some sleep and continue the next day?

Comments

• BrandonM9BrandonM9 Alum Member
    edited December 2023 70 karma

nah man you gotta take a break because if continue on knowing your going to make mistakes, its kinda pointless. You gotta take breaks to actually let the stuff you learn sink in. Its better to get some sleep and put it off till tomorrow knowing your going to do better then just do it just to be done with it. You got this!

• All depends on how you're studying, to be honest. Are you doing practice sets under timed conditions? Are you blind reviewing them before you get your score and striving to get 100% on them? Are you hyper-analyzing and redoing questions you got wrong even after BR?

If you're starting to feel tired/worn out and not performing well on problem sets, you won't really improve if you just keep moving on. It's way more beneficial to just take your time with them and really focus on getting 100% correct. Build those inferences that help you recognize why only one answer is correct and all the rest are incorrect. The speed will come naturally with time.

But if you're too tired to even do that, don't feel bad about taking a break. Remember, rest is a weapon!

• weil ill be damnedweil ill be damned Core Member
    33 karma

yeah wasting questions in half-hearted drills is a big n-no. if you don't have the energy then don't try to study, it's not very productive

• daniel__daniel__ Live Member
    edited December 2023 39 karma

@CharlieKellyAttorneyaInBirdLaw I'm doing the practice sets within the syllabus + BR + analyzing. I'm not sticking to a strict timer but am monitoring my time and trying to keep it reasonable. I'm seeing my time and mistakes increase, and also not always catching errors on blind review. I think I'll get some sleep!

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Alum Member
    374 karma

have you tried, 50 minutes of studying and a 10 min break? Maybe see how many of those you can do in a row. If I can do 2-3, that's a great study session. And remember that any studying over like 5 or 6 hours may have diminishing returns. So study wisely.