Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the LSAT without LG affecting the admission cycle?

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
in General 677 karma

I am looking to take the LSAT sometime in the future. I know how to do the LG. I just need more practice with it to do it more efficiently. My understanding is that LSAT will no longer require LG to be a part of it starting from August 2024. I am wondering how my score will play a part in admission cycle if it does not reflect the LG because I plan on taking the LSAT after August, 2024. If you could input your thought, that would be great! (:

Comments

• partyrockinpartyrockin Live Member
    66 karma

Apparently, not at all. Admissions committees really trust the LSAT and are going to continue to look at the test exactly the same. I asked this question directly to Dean Z at UMich Law and she said this verbatim (also mentioned that other law schools will very likely have the same approach).

If you wanna do games, grind now until June!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    802 karma

In short, no one knows, LSAC says it won't change anything, but I think that scores 170+ will go down.

At the moment, LG is a freebie section for high scorers, basically a guaranteed -0 or at worst -2. The same can't be said about LR or RC, so naturally it makes sense to think that with the removal of the easiest test section, high scorers will decrease.

There is, however, a lot of stuff we don't know yet, like if they will change the questions for LR or RC to make them easier/harder. Another thing worth noting is that some of the people you are applying to law school with will have LSAT scores from the past two years and June, so you'll be sending in apps with a lot of LG test takers.

Guess we will have to find out in August. Until then, if LG is your best section, take the June LSAT, and if its not, then wait till August.

• Baloch1996-1Baloch1996-1 Live Member
    46 karma

How would 170 go down if it is a curved exam? I am trying to understand. With LR and RC more people are likely to get more questions wrong, but if it is curved there should not be any issue with getting 170+. I am trying to understand this.

• il-legally-brunetteil-legally-brunette Live Member
    270 karma

@"Baloch1996-1" said:
    How would 170 go down if it is a curved exam? I am trying to understand. With LR and RC more people are likely to get more questions wrong, but if it is curved there should not be any issue with getting 170+. I am trying to understand this.

I think you are probably right on this. The same reason for why some 'harder' tests give you a 170 for -5/-6, whereas other 'easier' tests would curve a 170 at -3/-4 etc

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited February 16 802 karma

@"Baloch1996-1" said:

The "curve" is based on section difficulty. It starts at -7 for a 170, and moves up or down depending on how hard or easy each section is. A hard RC section might move the curve to a -8, but an easy LR section can balance it out back to a -7.

Now take for example a super common variant of a 175 scorer who scores -2 on LR, -3 on RC, and -0 on LG on normal difficulty sections (ones that do not move the test curve). Subbing out the LG section for an LR section would most likely make them miss 1-2 more questions, making him go from -5 to -7 overall... but it wouldn't change the curve because the section itself is normal difficulty.

This gets even worse when a hard LG section is subbed out for a hard RC section. A typical 175 scorer might miss -1 on that LG but miss -4 to -6 on RC, so without that LG section, they are no longer in 175 contention.

In sum, getting -0 on LG will always be infinitely easier than -0 on LR and RC, despite each section being the same difficulty curve wise. This change will help those 175+ scorers that miss a few on LG, but those are a lot more rare than the 175 scorers who are perfect on LG.

This issue is made even worse for 170 scorers who do the same on LG (-0 to -1) and worse on LR and RC. This is why I think high scorers will go down overall.

Again, this is just my thoughts, and I am curious how it will actually turn out. A big thing that we don't know about is if they will make the LR/RC sections easier overall while keeping the curve the same. If this happens, I could see 170+ scores not changing at all.

• rdyoung12rdyoung12 Alum Member
    306 karma

@Webby_Songdo Personally I think the test will be MORE DIFFICULT without logic games. I see logic games as a break from reading - it "exercises" different parts of your brain while giving your reading parts a break. If your study schedule allows and if the sign up is open of course, I would sign up for the LG LSAT immediately!

@"AlexLSAT." In other words the raw scores could be a lot lower but the LSAC will still scale the percentile score to the same on the 120-180 scale (https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-scoring). The mean is rumored to be set to 150-152 on most tests.

This explains what a bell curve is: