Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hope for Those That Need Some Right Now

Hopeful16-1Hopeful16-1 Alum Member
in General 69 karma

I'm currently a 3L at one of the Canadian law schools (which I will keep anonymous) and was feeling anxious about the uncertainty of articling that lies ahead. I came back to 7sage to scroll to take gain some perspective and remind myself of where I started and to remind myself that things do work out and they will be okay. This rings true even for those in law school. However, I saw some forums that reminded me of how I felt when studying to get into law school and I hope my experience can help bring some encouragement to someone!

To provide some context, I was admitted into my current law school in 2021 but before that I studied for the LSAT for 4 years. I was working full-time (a typical eight hour job) and was studying full-time. I had almost given up since I had taken the LSAT almost 4 times (this was before the cap was reinstated). By the last attempt, I was so burnt out, bitter, annoyed, frustrated and just overall upset. I didn't want to study anymore and almost called it quits. Hearing about law school or even seeing TV shows about the law made me feel ill and just reminded me of how disappointed I was with my studying at that point. I will not sugarcoat it, studying for this exam was absolutely brutal and it's definitely not for the faint of heart. Given how fed up I was with this exam, I called it quits and essentially just did the last attempt for the sake of doing it (I had stopped studying for it weeks before and just started reviewing). Trust, even reviewing for this exam was like pulling teeth, my motivation was that dried out and tired. Funnily enough, that last attempt ended up being my best score (159) and I was so surprised. For myself, I realized part of the obstacle was me. I had borderline idolized this exam and it was only until I learned to ease my anxiety that I did better. The next three years were a whirlwind and I honestly am still in shock by the fact that they passed by so quickly. There's still so much that I need to learn and I still struggle at times to adopt a novice mindset.

I'm now graduating in a month. If someone had told me that I would be at this point in my life then I wouldn't have believed them. It's wild how life works. This is my long winded way of saying trust the process and put your best foot forward. If you tried, at least you can say that you did and it may or not bear fruit. Either way, you will be okay and you never know where life will take you. Don't give up b/c you've got this.

Comments

• stana198stana198 Core Member
    15 karma

Thank you for taking the time to write that. I will be taking the test in August and I have been so stressed out so your post was really encouraging to read. Thank you.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    990 karma

Thank you for sharing this. People that are studying (me) needed to hear this.

• missjurisdocmissjurisdoc Live Member
    656 karma

Congratulations! This is super inspiring and a reminder that our best is truly personal to the individual rather than to group or others. I'm glad you powered through the low points! Wishing you the best as you continue your legal journey!!