Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More time

sidhoodsidhood Free Trial Member
in General 7 karma
Does it make sense to delay going to law school by a whole year only on the basis of wanting more time to raise your LSAT score? I only ask because it seems as though there are a lot of things in life that we wish we could have more time to prepare for but it's not always necessarily wise to take that time off. In theory having an extra year to study would mean I would definitely get into a better law school than if I simply took the Oct or Dec test, but if my only reason is because of a single exam then I'm not so sure I'd be justified.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Yes I think it does make sense. A higher score will only benefit you, whether it be in the form of more scholarship money or by gaining admission to better law schools. You can continue to prep for Oct/Dec and take the exam if you feel well prepared, but if you have to delay until next June or Sept/Oct then go for it. The LSAT is a giant component of your application and you should want to submit the best app you can.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    Depends on where you are. If you're planning to go to an American law school, then the stuff below is irrelevant. However, if you're Canadian and/or are planning to apply to a Canadian law school, then the below makes more sense.

Keep in mind that Canadian law schools are different than American law schools. Many Canadian schools don't rely more heavily on LSAT (except, maybe U of Toronto). LSAT and GPA are given equal weight to a vast majority of law schools here. In fact, some schools consider your GPA more than the LSAT. Also, given the low number of law schools in Canada, we don't really have tiers like American schools do. Getting a JD from U of New Brunswick will offer you similar opportunities as getting your JD from, say, U of British Columbia. Of course, some employers may have regional preferences. Canadian law schools aren't as expensive as their American counterparts. I think the most expensive law school is U of Toronto with $30K per year tuition. So, if you have a high enough GPA, great letters of references, and amazing extra curriculars, then you can probably get by with an LSAT score that is in low to mid 160s (or maybe even high150s).

Having said that, LSAT is an important factor in your apps. It is in your best interest to do as well as you can there. So study hard and do your best without taking too much stress over it.
  • littlesnickerslittlesnickers Member Inactive Sage
    271 karma
    I think delaying makes sense for some people, and refusing to delay makes sense for other people. Only you know what makes sense for your life.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    This single exam determines much more than where you get in, so it is not like the SAT was for UG... it can mean the difference between no scholarship/some scholarship/full ride, so if money is an issue then waiting should not be an issue because there is potential to reap huge benefits... If money is not an issue, then just take it when you're comfortable you can score where you need to in order to get admitted where you want to go...
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @sidhood said:
    In theory having an extra year to study would mean I would definitely get into a better law school than if I simply took the Oct or Dec test, but if my only reason is because of a single exam then I'm not so sure I'd be justified.
    Sure. This is a great option, and if you have the inclination and ability to do this, please do. You will be in a much better position over all if you study for a year. I know it takes courage to push law school back by a year, but I really believe you won't regret it (at least in terms of your LSAT score and the options that will open up for you)!
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Hey @shiv.tomer1 - just a few additions to your post:
    @shiv.tomer1 said:
    Many Canadian schools don't rely more heavily on LSAT (except, maybe U of Toronto).
    University of Toronto previously said that GPA, LSAT and PS are all weighed as 1/3 of admission evaluation. This year the 2/3 LSAT and GPA algorithm has been adjusted to give more weight to GPA than LSAT. See this link: http://www.law.utoronto.ca/admissions/jd-admissions/admissions-policies
    @shiv.tomer1 said:
    I think the most expensive law school is U of Toronto with $30K per year tuition.
    University of Toronto will be a little over $33,000.00 this year.
    1049 karma
    Oh wow! Thanks for the additions @LSATisland!

But it does make me wonder: Is LSAT slowly losing its significance? I've heard of some schools in the States who have completely eliminated the need to write LSAT as part of the application. From what I had heard previously, LSAT mattered a lot for UofT. In fact, I think they were a bit less holistic than all other Canadian schools. Now with this news, I wonder if other Canadian schools will increase their focus on GPA as opposed to LSAT.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @shiv.tomer1 Dude. You're weird.
    7965 karma
    @shiv.tomer1 said:
    I've heard of some schools in the States who have completely eliminated the need to write LSAT as part of the application.
    Only schools no one should attend.
    1049 karma
    @ENTJ said:
    Dude. You're weird.
    You're awesome too, my friend!
    1049 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Only schools no one should attend.
    This, I agree with. Thanks.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @shiv.tomer1 Lol. I don't know what the point of PMing me is if you were going to respond on this thread. Sorry buddy, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
    1049 karma
    @ENTJ said:
    Sorry buddy, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
    You sure man? Ahh, this message did make me feel good. Jokes aside, no harm done. All's good!
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    @LSATisland said:
    University of Toronto previously said that GPA, LSAT and PS are all weighed as 1/3 of admission evaluation. This year the 2/3 LSAT and GPA algorithm has been adjusted to give more weight to GPA than LSAT. See this link: http://www.law.utoronto.ca/admissions/jd-admissions/admissions-policies
    Interesting. I didn't plan on going to U of T, but considering it's one the best law schools I'm wondering if other schools will follow their lead. My GPA is pretty high, and although Oct will decide what I get on the LSAT, I definitely would be happy if GPA was weighted heavier.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    @shiv.tomer1 said:
    But it does make me wonder: Is LSAT slowly losing its significance? I've heard of some schools in the States who have completely eliminated the need to write LSAT as part of the application. From what I had heard previously, LSAT mattered a lot for UofT. In fact, I think they were a bit less holistic than all other Canadian schools. Now with this news, I wonder if other Canadian schools will increase their focus on GPA as opposed to LSAT.
    Although I can only speak for my school, I don't think the LSAT is "losing its significance" here. U of T is just putting a little more emphasis on GPA than LSAT. However, as the LSAT is the one evaluator that is uniform across all applicants, regardless of their degree, school etc... it will likely remain an important part of the admission evaluation.
    7965 karma
    Yo, Canadians ... Didn't you make your own kennel—I mean, thread—for this kind of banter?

### end trolling ###