Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite Logical Reasoning Resources?

medb1234medb1234 Alum Member
edited August 2015 in Logical Reasoning 29 karma
Hey guys! Just wanted to ask what you think the best resources for Logical Reasoning are out there. I would especially like to work on parallel reasoning/ flaw, and logic heavy questions (they tend to slow me down when I diagram them). I have read the LR Bible, seen the 7Sage videos, and done PTs. Thank you!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I don't think you need more than the Trainer and 7Sage. Diagramming some conditional PF questions and all their ACs should help you kill those two birds with one stone.
  • Alex ShortAlex Short Alum Member
    112 karma
    Don't mean to direct the attention of the thread, but I've got a question about what resources to use for LR questions that are giving me a bit of trouble.

Having now tested from a diagnostic of 152, now scoring BR consistently in the mid to high 170s and my most recent is PT 164 timed / BR 175. My goal is as far above 170 as possible.

I lose most my points in LR, and while I almost never get certain question types wrong (Necessary Assumption, for example), Flaw questions and PSA questions seem to be the worst (in terms of about 70% accuracy for those, timed.

Specifically with flaw type, is there any way to get better at understanding the answer choices without getting caught up in the wording? Is prephrasing a necessary component to solving these with 100% accuracy?

Otherwise, I usually score LG perfectly under time, RC is coming along well, but I feel like LR is still leading to me needing to rush a bit to finish them all.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Try those that @Pacifico suggested first. But I also found some usefulness out of Manhattan, as have others.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 2398 karma
    @"Alex Short" pre-phrasing *all* flawed questions may be a stop short of absolutely necessary, but it is one of the key components of answering flawed questions correctly. How well you're able to pre-phrase shows how well you understand what the argument is telling you, how they are getting there, and why they're coming up short. In that sense, pre-phrasing isn't just a technique to use to get through the answer choices, but a critical benchmark that shows your understanding of the question at hand, as well as your proficiency with flawed methods of reasoning as a whole. For the most part these flawed questions are new variations on the same old flaws; learn these flaws front and back so that you can easily spot when and how they are being applied.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    I've also found the Manhattan Forums very useful. I hate to advertise for another company besides 7Sage, but Manhattan's forums are good for those rare questions that 7Sage's explanation just happen to not jive with you or if you need another perspective.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    The Flaw stuff in the Trainer is worth the price alone in my opinion. It just gives a really great perspective to approach flaws and LR in general.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Ditto @Pacifico! The Trainer flaw section is gold! I definitely gained the most from that section. If what you need still doesn't click move on to Manhattan. Just because the masses say go this or that route, it doesn't mean that's what's going to work for you. Trial and error. I'm only using 7 Sage and The Trainer for my studies but if I need another source to grasp a certain concept I'll add another source to my materials.
  • littlesnickerslittlesnickers Member Inactive Sage
    271 karma
    I found it really helpful to read the LR explanations on lsathacks.com
  • medb1234medb1234 Alum Member
    29 karma
    Thank you all!