Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need at least a 160 or more

sercal92sercal92 Member
edited October 2015 in Logical Reasoning 14 karma
Hello,

I do not know of anyone else taking the lsat so i am just posting my concerns here ;)
I took my 1st lsat on Feb of last year got a 141. (hardly studied, and was full time study and work)...i retook the next lsat in June and got a 149 with almost 2 months of studying. English is not my 1st language and its very hard for me to sometime understand the sayings or tone in the lsat. Since my immigration status does not allow me to have private or federal loans in this country I need at least more than 160 to get some money for law school. I live in South Florida with T4/5 law schools that will freely give money. The tier of school is not an issue for me.

Im planning to take the lsat in june of 2016. I have been trying to get back to it since august. I am working on LR since its my hardest section but cannot get out of 15-17 right in timed sections . I need at least 20 or more right. I have gone trough the whole curriculum and seems that I am getting most MBT/SA/NA mid to hard questions right but then the easy or mid main conclusion or weakening questions I sometimes get wrong..with stupid mistakes. When I do the blind review I usually get the right answer but I keep making the same mistakes. I go over everything and the lessons but still same mistakes. I do not know if its my concentration or i need more timed practice. Can you guys advice on what techniques to use for these 8 months leading to the test and to get out of the 15-17 range? Thank you ;)

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping this to the top before it gets sucked into the void.
  • sanormansanorman Member
    20 karma
    I was in the exact same boat as you on LR for the longest time, missing 7-12 per section. Only recently have I steadily been able to answer 20+ correctly on each section under timed conditions. I can't say what works for me works for everyone (that'd be a flaw, right?), but for me it was a combination of learning to apply a critical and active reading mindset to EVERY question, thoroughly reviewing all misses to the point of overkill, and then doing questions under timed conditions.

1) Critical, Active Reading - I know, for the LSAT it should be a given right? But it is a skill, and I had to practice it. The LSAT requires both reading for detail and for broad comprehension. So I practiced reading every question super critically. It's easy to read a main point or main conclusion question and then assume an easy stimulus and answer are on the way. But the LSAT authors know this, and they will try to trip you up on very tricky trap answers, even if the flaw is apparent. So read every question assuming it's going to be the hardest question you've ever read. When you're doing untimed practice or reviewing misses, literally speak out loud to yourself explaining your thought process. This helped me a lot to get a solid conceptual understanding of all the different questions types. After doing it for about 200 questions.

2) Reviewing Misses - This is essential, possibly the most essential. My misses fall into two categories. One, I made a stupid mistake. I reduced these misses when I started reading every question like my life depended on it, ie. super critical reading. Second, I had no clue of the flaw or argument due to convoluted language, subtle assumptions, or whatever. Really deconstructing the stimuli was key for me. On these types of misses I break each argument into premise, conclusion (obv), then further break it down further so I know the function of each phrase or even word. After finally finding out exactly why I got the question wrong, I write a parallel argument and answer that matches exactly the actual LSAT question and answer. This has helped me tremendously. It's allowed me to get a real deep understanding of the flaw and argument types, because they really do repeat themselves. And if still didn't get it, I do over again. Sometimes I do it over again anyway. Understanding the LSAT is not something I have found I can overkill.

3) Timed Questions - Another given, but essential. I find that if you're reading while very focused and very critical, possess a deep understanding of the question and flaw types gained through study, and are able to operate efficiently and decisively under timed conditions, you are gonna be just fine.

So it just takes practice and time. In my case, it took a lot if it. And it it's super frustrating. But with enough study you WILL get better. If I can, you can trust me. For me, after enough review it sorta just clicked! The questions got easier to read, understand, and answer correctly. I had no reason to think LR would suddenly make sense, but all of a sudden it did! So don't give up! Even if it feels like you're not progressing at all, keep at it and you will for sure! Good Luck!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Great points, @sanorman !
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    I, too, am looking for a 160 or higher.. I also am struggling with LR in the same regard. I will give @sanorman's process a shot and see how it goes!
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    @sanorman THANK YOU for this. LR is my weak link and dear lord, if I can crack 20 correct answers on both sections I WOULD BE G O L D E N. Now to try your technique and do it like insane!
  • ellie1991ellie1991 Alum Member
    237 karma
    Excellent points @sanorman Thanks for sharing!